Breaking the Ice (OT8) [PART 2]

Pairing: SKZ & Felix

Genre: Viking AU

!!TW!! : angst, mentioned past abuse, mentioned depressive episodes, mild insecurities, but he's actually doing better, sickness, basically attempted murder, unintentional poisoning, forced vomiting, some very mild violence, karma's a bitch to those who deserve it

.

.

.

"And what's that one for?"

"Sore throats."

"This one?"

"Frostbite."

"Good. This one?"

"That's—wait, isn't that your shampoo?"

Hyunjin's eyes crinkled as he smiled. "It is! Good job, sweetheart!"

Felix laughed, and Hyunjin's heart practically melted at the sweet sound. It certainly wasn't the first time he heard Felix laugh, but it always managed to make him feel all warm and bubbly inside.

Felix had been with them for about a year, now. He'd grown a lot from the shy, broken boy Minho and Jeongin had rescued from the shore. It hadn't been easy, of course, and he'd more than once fallen prey to intense depressive episodes, but Hyunjin and his husbands were always there to pull him right back on his feet.

It had taken months, but Felix grew out of his shell little by little. With Chan and Hyunjin constantly nipping at his insecurities, and with all of the others offering care and support, Felix had the necessary foundations to slowly build his life back up, and he was doing a lot better now. 

He could still hit a slump from time to time, but he'd developed the habit of going to one of them whenever they happened – for which they heavily praised him every time, glad he finally felt capable of relying on them without feeling terrible about it, and doing it of his own accord at that.

Felix... Felix had gone through a lot. As he'd explained, he was born a very weak child, so he got sick very often. He also didn't abide by the stereotypical ideals of men in his village, enjoying cooking and sewing and even drawing much more than he did hunting, fishing, or fighting. 

Beyond suffering intensely from all sorts of diseases, and also the distinct lack of support and love from his family, he'd also been mistreated by the rest of the villagers, who considered him as nothing more than a waste of space and resources – he still bore many scars from the worst confrontations.

He was always expected to die whenever he caught something worse than a cold, and his family stopped providing him with medicine and care at some point, yet he somehow always survived – and, one day, his own father had enough. He forcibly dragged Felix to a boat and took him out at sea with the intent of "teaching him how to swim".

He threw Felix overboard before promptly rowing away, leaving his son to drown.

But somehow, by nothing short of a miracle, Felix's unconscious body was taken by the waves, and the storm was strong enough to carry him all the way back to shore, where Minho and Jeongin ultimately found him.

It was horrifying, really. Felix was the most precious thing in the world, so kind and soft and deserving of all the good things – how someone could wish to harm a gentle boy like him, whose only crime in their eyes was to exist, was simply impossible to understand.

But it was all over, now. Whenever Hyunjin caught glimpse of a scar, or he found Felix suffering through one of his episodes, he had to remind himself that those terrible people could no longer hurt the precious boy and, before long, the gods would undoubtedly punish them for their sins.