48

The next week at work consisted of finalizing the legal report for the Everett versus Everett case. By Wednesday, the news of my promotion had spread throughout the office. Friday I spent more time answering congratulatory emails than work-related ones. In the evening, Micky pitched us our next potential case. Dellana urged me to take a break before getting back on the saddle. I assured her I would once I vetted out any pending cases.

   Saturday morning when I arrived, everyone seemed eerily secretive. Even Destiny kept the small talk short. By the time 2 PM hit, I was ready to interrogate Akira about all this, knowing she was always the first to pick up on office gossip when Destiny knocked on my door and entered before I got a word in.

"Hey, Kim. Dellana called an emergency briefing," she said with urgency.

I frowned, but got up instantly, "What's going on?" I asked while shrugging on my jacket.

Destiny shook her head, "I don't know, but it sounded urgent," she simply said as I walked around the table.

We exited my office in hurried steps. My heartbeat picked up when I noticed the vacant hall.

"How bad could this be?" I thought.

"Any idea what this could be about?" I voiced my concern as she guided me to our biggest and most reserved conference room.

"I'm not sure. Dellana just said to call a general meeting and to make sure you were there too," Destiny said.

   Out of all three of our conference rooms, this one was reserved for partner meetings or very serious and urgent briefings. While all the others had see-through, glass walls, those were tinted, providing much more privacy, which helped when discussing sensitive topics concerning the firm.

"What the hell happened?" I whispered, feeling the stress of the situation twisting tight knots in my stomach.

Destiny didn't answer, instead, she walked ahead of me to get to the door.

   I stepped right in. Destiny closed the door before I could make out anything, now engulfed in darkness, many silhouettes sound out. I froze. It wasn't out of the ordinary for this room to be this dark for projections, but right now, it was pitch black, and no one seemed to have any intention of getting the lights back on.

"Okay, what the hell is going on here?" I asked, not at all amused, my panic slowly rising.

"Wow! Language, Kimberly."

I turned my head in the direction of the familiar voice, not quite sure I heard it right.

"Jarred?" I asked, puzzled.

Instantly, the lights came on and a unified "Surprise!" resonated through the room, making me flinch.

   Before me, all my colleagues were gathered around the conference table on which were trays of hor d'oeuvres, champagne, and even a few gifts. A loud pop sounded next to me and then a rain of confetti descended over us. I stood there, wide-eyed with my mouth hanging, my gaze focused on the intruder among us.

"What the hell are you doing here?" I asked, still in shock as Jarred walked towards me, arms wide open with a smirk shaping his lips.

"Your boss tipped me off," he said as he wrapped his arms around me.

"Congratulations, Kim. I'm so proud of you," he said and kissed my cheek.

   The small crowd cheered as we pulled away. One by one, they all came to share their congratulations. Meanwhile, Jackson and Bruce took over the drinks, popping two champagne bottles simultaneously, earning them a few cheers.