18

Over the years, I've dealt with some sketchy cases. Early on I learned that a plaintive isn't necessarily a victim. This case is one of the most complex ones I've been faced with. Siding with the adversary is a rare occurrence but when necessary, it's mandatory.

   As I awaited the arrival of Tanner and his client, I went over the plan in my head. We worked relentlessly on this case. Proving that a precinct was corrupt would bring about an evaluation. Not that they deserved anything less. Although, it'll be considered a setback in the justice system. Which it was. The sad truth about corruption was that it needed to be exposed to remedy the situation. Unfortunately, it would simultaneously bring about questions about cases handled in those times, thereby giving convicted criminals reasons to cast doubt on their sentencing.

Sergeant Reid and all those who turned a blind eye to Ella's cries brought shame to their profession, precinct, and the justice system. In a battle that would in no way be easy, the only way to ensure the balance was restored, was by making sure justice was served.

That was exactly what I planned to achieve.

"Kimberly," a commanding voice sounded at the top of the stairs to my left.

I looked to see Tanner standing there, his knowing smirk imitating mine as I stood to greet him.

"Mr. Price," I said as we shook hands.

"What's with the formalities? I thought we were finally friends," he declared, his eyebrows raised teasingly.

I shrugged, "That's for your client to decide."

He chuckled.

"Are you seriously here to intimidate that poor woman? Your guy is guilty, Kimberly. A chat with her won't change that."

"Seriously, Tanner? Playing dirty is not my style. I thought you knew me better than that."

For a moment, his eyes roamed over me. When back to my face, something new but not unfamiliar shone in them.

"How could I when you never gave me the time of day?"

Cocking my head in feigned defeat, I smile wryly at his dig.

   When I first began my internship at then, Madison Legal Co., Tanner was working as a paralegal. Though we didn't see much of each other until he became the district attorney, he'd always been there to land a hand or give advice. More than once, he made his interest in me clear. We probably would've had something great if it hadn't been for the unfortunate timing. But back then my only focus was to provide Sam and me the stability we'd been starved of since Celine passed away.

   Always decked in a dark blue suit, Tanner towers over me standing at 6'3, a fact that I found out when Jackson bragged about finally being the tallest man in the firm when Tanner left, him standing at 6'4. His honey blonde hair was shorter on the sides and slicked to the side most days but now was a slightly tousled mess of curly strands hanging over his forehead. His strong jaw was covered in a day-old scuff.

   Tanner's handsome, his icy blue eyes have a way of drawing you in and his tantalizing smile could make any girl swoon. Instead of being a stuck-up pretty boy like Jackson, Tanner's presence was bearable even when we were pleading against each other. and we always got along. If anything more could ever come of that is left to be seen. Though, I didn't bother to entertain the thought, especially now that I had Jarred...

Jarred?

My mind reeled back.

Where the hell did that come from?