Chapter Nineteen

Hello Everyone!

|| ✨ ||

After Finn checked my arm for any strains, which there were none of, and decided that it would be a good time to remove my stitches on either side of my shoulder while we were in a proper facility that wasn't my family's infirmary.

That had been fifteen minutes ago. Right now, he stood at the nurse's station talking to Lyla and Tay while I sat here, shirtless. I wouldn't go as far as to say that I was jealous, although I'm big enough to admit that a small piece of it included jealousy, the other hated the way he acted so content around them.

He was always so stiff with me and my family, only on less than a handful of occasions, did he let down a few walls in front of me.

Either way, I'm starting to get highly annoyed with his lack of concentration. However, if I showed that I cared, he would most likely get spooked or shut down on me. I had only ever experienced one or the other.

The third nurse remained behind the curtain with her patient, who grumbled and moaned in protest every few seconds. The rest of the room was quiet aside from the small obnoxious bouts of laughter from Lyla.

There were about fifteen beds in this space alone and it was only one floor. I could only imagine the rest of the apartment building. Finn would have to show me a tour when he finished. I decided to make myself more comfortable by sliding off my combat boots, letting them smack the floor.

The curtain across from me opened. "Anastasia Love?" Pure dread sounded from across the space and I glanced up, making eye contact with the only other patient in this place.

He didn't look familiar. He had a bald head and a short, bulky stature hiding behind a long leather coat and baggy pants. When he didn't elaborate after saying my name I looked at him expectantly. "What?"

Finn's conversation paused when he heard me speak, his attention darting to my face. Mine stayed on the patient still rooted to his spot. The third nurse looked back and forth, alarm crossing her face.

The man sneered at me. "Your father murdered my cousin."

I waited a few more seconds for him to again elaborate. "Okay. And?" I asked plainly.

He sputtered, his face turning red. "What do you mean 'and'? He murdered him."

I raised both hands in confusion. "I don't know what you expect me to do with this information. Nothing I could possibly say would fix your problem," I stated, leaning back on the bed, resting against the pillows.

"You could at least apologize!" He roared and I furrowed my eyebrows.

"Why? I did nothing wrong," I replied calmly.

His restraint broke free and he charged towards me, hands balled into fists. I stayed against the pillows, unfazed. Before he could reach my bed, a hand gripped his shoulder and spun him around. Finn glared down at the short man. "It's time for you to leave."

The man pointed at me, outraged. "But-but!"

Finn's knuckles turned white as he increased the pressure on the man. "But nothing, you will respect the laws of The Corner Store and leave now."

I resisted the urge to wolf whistle in Finn's direction. I did say I liked his dominant side. He shoved the man toward the nurse's station and made his way to me. The anger on his face sent a jolt of heat down my body and I purposely crossed my ankles as he approached.

I gave Finn a sweet smile. "My hero," I gushed, placing a hand on my cheek and fluttering my eyes.

He stared down at me, fighting a smile. "You know you're a pain in the ass sometimes."