Chapter Nine

**WARNING graphic content may be shown in this chapter, please be advised.**

Hello Everyone!!

|| ✨ ||

The day before the Xiao Family's Gala, my cellphone rang with an unknown number. I picked it up and stared at the screen for a second, debating if it was worth answering when I didn't know who was on the other line.

"Hello?" I answered, closing a folder on my desk of reports from the Manhattan Athena Hotel's underground casino.

"Anastasia."

My body froze. Shit, fuck. "Hello Father," I murmured, pulling the phone away from my face to sigh deeply. "How are you?"

Naturally, he didn't care for simple conversations. "I've been informed you're attending the Xiao family's Gala tomorrow night, is that correct?"

I swallowed and sat up straight, manifesting the confidence that died the second I heard his voice on the other line. "Yes," I answered evenly, "It would be bad for publicity within the family for none of us to attend."

His line was quiet. My fist pressed against my mouth while I waited. "Good." I nearly puked in relief. "Keep Atticus and Amari home but I want Jasper and Elijah with you at all times, understood?"

"Yes, Father."

"What information do you have on the contract? Have you found substantial leads?"

Fuck. "We got some information out of the amateur Jasper and Elijah caught but nothing concrete from him," I uttered, my fingers gripping the phone tight.

"How long has he been under your observation?"

My body shook from the fear for a split second before I controlled myself. "Three weeks."

"Then you have to fire him," he said as if he were talking about the weather.

I scrambled, "I know, I'll have Elijah get some of the guy's to-"

"No. You will do it." His tone left no room for argument.

"I understand."

"And the hotels?" He demanded in a rough tone.

I gulped. "Good from the reports I've gotten. California had a situation with a card counter but he's been dealt with severely and will not be visiting any other Athena Hotel. The new management at the Paris hotel seems to be gelling well with the staff," I informed him, placing him on speaker and sifting through the folders on my desk.

"The Manhattan hotel?"

"Running smoothly, I've scheduled to stay there the night of the Gala and will observe the dealings personally."

"Very well."

I sensed the end of the conversation looming over his words and blurted out, "Where are you staying? Are you safe?" I may blame my parents for the traumatic upbringing they subjected me to, but they were still my parents.

"Our location is on a need-to-know basis and you do not need to know. Your mother and I are perfectly capable of being safe and I don't need my child asking me useless questions. I will phone again in two weeks." The line clicked dead before I could utter another word.

I dropped the phone on the desk and leaned back in my chair, taking a moment to breathe. My heartbeat thumped in my ears. A ragged breath left my trembling lips but I regained my composure and stood up from my desk.

I opened the door and saw Lorenzo's face first. His attention was already on me. I cleared my throat. "Please have the amateur in The Courtyard in five minutes."