Chapter Fifteen

Hello everyone!

Enjoy!

|| ✨ ||

"What are we going to do about Shan?" Jasper asked from the conference table a few days later.

Corinne sat at the far end of the long table, her legs up on the desk and a frown on her face. Elijah wasn't there, he stayed in Manhattan gathering more information about the impending investigation that mentioned our family. Whether it was about when I got shot or generally about my father, I didn't know.

Our family has dealt with the eyes and ears of the law enforcement listening in all our lives. The only thing that reminded us of our safety was the fact that we had multiple politicians under our thumbs due to their reckless behavior especially from one major city's mayor who loved gambling a little too much.

Any case ever opened against my family or my father specifically, disappeared without questions. And if there were ever any questions then those people were dealt with accordingly.

I sat at the head of the table, leaning back in my seat and staring at the ceiling. "Shan will get what's coming to him." Jasper didn't look too reassured by my statement but I kept my mouth shut.

"And Zhang Wei? If you touch his heir, you're practically declaring war against him and his entire family," he added, a note of fear in his voice.

"Then maybe it's time for a war to break out," I said monotonously. I had done the necessary things to keep myself a couple of steps ahead of everyone involved.

Jasper blanched, his face outraged. "You want two of the strongest families in the entire fucking country to start fighting? What would father say?"

I shrugged, sipping water from a glass. "I don't actually give a fuck what father would say, he's not here now and he's not in charge of this business or the family. I am."

Maybe the pent-up anger towards my father could be related to the fact that he hadn't called about the fact that I got shot over a week ago. Not one call. And I knew he knew because Jasper reported every little thing to him.

I told myself not to care. He was an asshole anyway. Why should I be shocked?

"If we corner Shan then maybe we'll be able to find another clue into who set up this whole list, which we still haven't gotten our hands-on, just by the way," Corinne informed us, an annoyed look on her face. Losing didn't sit well with her.

"Shan has no ties to who made the list, he only cares about status, and me being higher than him upsets him," I told them, thinking back to all those years seeing Shan at events and meetings. He never accepted me as an equal and he sure as hell isn't enjoying me being above him.

"Did we find any more clues to Uncle Ron's murder? Uncle George has been bugging me about information for weeks now," Jasper said, pulling out his phone and typing on it while finishing his sentence. He was glued to that freaking thing.

Corinne dropped her feet to the ground and leaned forward. "Nothing to go on but your uncles' description of the murderer. Video cameras were down the whole night from when Ron walked into the house."

I used my free hand to rub my eyes, a headache slowly building in the center of my forehead. "How does someone jump over a heavily guarded compound, walk into a house, and murder someone?" I asked quietly.

The amount of sleep I lost over this entire list situation is unhealthy. On a regular night, I barely slept now, that's been cut in half because I can't even guarantee the safety of my siblings or staff in my own home.