Chapter 20: The Best-ish Time Of Year

It was the first of December today. I absolutely adore Christmas and this time of year. The thrill of potential snow. The warm drinks, open fireplaces being lit in restaurants and cafes, wrapping up warm in layers of scarves, coats, hats and gloves. The best part though was waking up and seeing Jack Frost's gift of frost evrywhere. Covering everything until it was a white, sparkly wonderland.

The only thing is, this year isn't the same. Its been 2 weeks since the accident and Mom is still in a coma. Dads still in the hospital recovering but he's doing fine. The ribs are slowly healing and the shoulder is going to take a while longer.

Like I said, Christmas is my favourite time of year, and I am already getting into the festive spirit. The house is decorated inside and out, although the outside was a little more tricky. But Tom came to help me put them up. There was fairy lights covering the tree, snowflake lights dangling from the windows.

Inside, I had a real 6ft fir tree, decorated in white LED lights and silver and blue baubles. I had tinsel hung over the top of mirrors and over the shelf above the fireplace in the living room. There's a snowman statue in the hallway and little mini santa figurines in the kitchen, along with other decorations throughout the house. I was so happy with it all. I wish Mom and Dad could see it.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>

2 weeks later- 15th December

My parents are still in the hospital. Mom is still in a coma. I mean I was sort of expecting it, but I can't say that a little part of me wasn't hoping that she would be ok for christmas.

I was doing a bit of last minute christmas shopping on my own today. Beth was in Barbados with her family for Christmas as usual so I couldn't go with her and the boys would no way come shopping with me! So it was just me. I still didn't know what to do about Christmas day. My grandparents had offered to have me at their houses but as they lived a couple of hours away, I wanted to stay closer just in case any news came from the hospital. Tom was going to his grandparents' house and he offered to take me but then realised there wasn't enough space at the table or in the house. So it looked like I was on my own this christmas.

While I was looking around Forever 21 for a scarf or something for my cousin, I saw the most beautiful dress ever. If we were having guests over for christmas I would have definitely got it. Shame I had nowhere to wear it to.

It had been quite a successful day of shopping. I got a scarf each for my cousins, Eleanor and Carly. A small bottle of perfume for my aunt Linda. And lots of other things for the members of my large family.

After a long day of shopping, I got home and had a nice bubble bath. I got out and dried my hair and myself and saw that I had a text of Danny.

Danny: Hey, you wanna hang out with me and Jack? x

Me: Sorry a bit tired, had a long day of shopping, don't really feel like going out x

A few minutes later he text back again.

Danny: Ok we're coming to you instead x

I was about just about to text back when he sent me another one.

Danny: We're bringing pizza and krispy kreme donuts! x

I was sold!! About half an hour later they arrived. I was in my silk pyjama top and matching bottoms edged in lace and my fuzzy little bunny slippers; so when I opened the door, a huge gust of freezing cold air chilled my legs and I had to jump around a few times to warm myself up.