Sixteen

Nightmare went to sleep, very much needy for a certain murderer that worked for him. He snuggled into his blankets, nuzzling his pillow a little as well. He was so excited! He hoped that all his real life horniness would convince his magic into giving him a wet dream. That usually worked.

Instead, he was in an all-too familiar dull, dark blue void. So much for getting laid. He couldn't leave this place if he tried. All he could do was try to wake up and dream of being somewhere else, anywhere else, when he slept next.

"Don't even try doing your weird... skeleton sex magic, because I ain't fucking you!" the human yelled, not wanting to see any of that weird ecto-body shit. "I don't even think my dick works anymore. I've been unconscious that long!"

"Why do you have to haunt me?" Nightmare turned around. "I get it. You're upset. You're alone. Blah blah blah. What do I have to do so you can leave me alone? I just want to go to Killer."

"Oh yeah, abandon me to keep living your perfect life with all your friends. I don't mind. You just always do this, that's all."

"Stop guilt tripping me! It happened, once! I get it! No one wanted you!"

He stood there, eyes wide. Tears pricked his eyes and he hugged himself, trying not to shake. "You are such a fucking cunt-ass bitch!"

"Oh can it! I've heard it all before! I'm a bitch! I'm a cunt! I'm an ass! I suck! I'm horrible! I left you! I killed people! What. Ev. Er!"

"I don't see why you were so goddamn loved! It's just not fair! You're the one hurting everyone, yet they all saw that and smiled! Even before the tragic backstory, they all loved and wanted you! And they called me horrifying, a freak, ugly! They all decided that they loved you! And you're the villain! They decided I was just an ugly human, and you weren't decided the same! So she picked you up and left me alone, in this empty universe!" the human cried. "I don't even have a name! Do you understand that?! I wasn't even given a fucking name!"

"Will you shut up?!" Nightmare screamed, his goop suddenly disappearing. He was shocked, feeling the different texture. It felt like the difference of when he passed out, those weeks ago, and when he woke up. Just when he was conscious, and without the pain. He looked at his hand, stained and dry. This would be the end. "Can't you see?! This can't happen without someone caring, at least a little?! Someone saw you and said 'I won't let his memory die!' I wouldn't be here otherwise!"

"No! You're messing with my head! You're just using me again! You're messing with me! You are! You always do! Stop!"

"I'm here for a reason, and I'm going to fix my mistake! Or else I'll never move on. Neither of us will!" Nightmare stepped forward. It was difficult. Like something was pushing or pulling him back, away from the human. "I'm going to fix everything, and I'll be free! Free from the past that everyone else has forgotten!"

"No! No no no! You're doing it! Stop!" The human covered his ears. "Stop it! I know what you're doing, and it won't work! Just stop acting like you care! I hate you! I hate you, I do! You're just trying to hurt me again'

Nightmare began to walk forward, struggling against a force. Something was trying to stop him, but he knew this had to end this time. Or he might never be able to fix it.

"You're going to wake up, okay?" Nightmare grunted as tentacles, his tentacles, tried to drag him back. His own corruption. Of course. The only place it remained was here, and if he woke him up, it would die. "You're going to go home! You'll be happy! You'll wake up and have your own family, and everything will work out! I promise!"

"Stop it! You're trying to trick me!"

"I promise that when you wake up, Underflesh will be different. You'll have someone to care!" Nightmare reached for his souls, although his corrupted goop tried to stop him. He grunted, crying out as he tried to do it. He had to do this, for the human. For himself.

"No! No! Don't touch those!" He screamed.

Suddenly, the stained skeletal hands grabbed onto them, starting to slowly push them together with all his strength.

"Why are you doing this?! You're the villain! You hurt me! You did this!"

The skeleton smiled a little, struggling to push them together. "Because everyone loves a redemption arc."

The two souls touched, and the blue was gone.