EYES ON ICE - 32

XXXII

XXXII. Olympic Hopefuls (Nebelhorn Trophy, ISU Challenger Series Part XIII)

France's quadruple Salchow wasn't on point today and it was either because he was nervous or exhilarated by the atmosphere of the competition, especially because it was his first time in the Olympic qualifying event. He could tell from the hesitation of his jump approaches that he wasn't being his usual self. Well, not that him being nervous was something unusual.

His spins were inconsistent and upon looking at Rob, he knew they had no difference. The only thing was that he's sure the American could pull it off tomorrow because he's more experienced than him. France would lie if he's to say that some miracle would appear and save his ass because there are many chances that it wouldn't. He was the only one who could help himself and he needed to realize that it's true.

"You okay?" Mason asked when his student headed to the rink boards by the side of the rink.

"Yeah.. just a little nauseous." A lot nauseous. He was more nervous than he expected he'd be. France always had an open type of expression. His family knew that. His friends knew that. His classmates knew that. And it's probably no surprise if the pressure sticks on to him until the last day of the competition.

When he skated the sides of the rink to warm up a bit, Rob approached him and did the same. "You know him?" The American was referring to the skater wearing all black figure skating clothes who just did a triple Lutz. As France shook his head, the latter added, "Garon Warner from Canada, twenty-four. He's in the top ten world standings back in the 2017-2018 season, one of the skaters with a beautiful Ina Bauer who qualified in the Pyeongchang Olympics."

France paused for a bit. "I did watch the 2018 Winter Olympics in person but I don't actually remember the names of the other athletes who skated there," he commented.

"He skated to Bolero." The both of them laughed after a few seconds. Rob sighed and said, "Sorry. I almost forgot that most skaters were actually using that. Garon's performance was epic, though. You watch out for him tomorrow."

Rob actually didn't need to remind him that. France was aware that every single competitor could leave him behind and that's more reason for him to watch his back. Although doing so wasn't actually helping because of the anxiety he's been feeling, he still knew he needed that. First of all, he's a first timer and he's not like one of those seniors who just debuted with an award-winning performance.

"Lorenzo Domínguez from Spain," Rob said with his eyes on the tallest skater among all the men competitors of the event. "I've known him since my junior level years and if I had gotten neck to neck with him back then, he'd probably be my most formidable rival."

"What happened?"

"On the early years after our senior debut, he suffered several injuries. He'd come back and withdraw from competitions after competitions. You could say he ended up being left out. He's been gradually improving these past few years, though. Who knows what he's up to now?"