EYES ON ICE - 06

VI. Choreography (On-Ice Training Part I)

Mavi had known what she was thinking. Having been with Jess for almost six years, he was certain that something was troubling her. Every inch of her face says it. Just the way that she constantly bites her nails was already a sign. "Mukha kang natatae, Jess," he commented, watching her do a one-legged squat inside the gym at Sir Oliver's house.

Jessica glared and stood up, giving him a sigh. She sat on her mat and started stretching with her eyes staring back at Mavi. Later on, she couldn't help but tell him what was wrong. "It was just.. awkward at our room. Hindi kami close ni Kelsey, and I feel like she's not the kind of girl who likes to hang out with girls like me, you know. Siguro ay sosyalin 'yong mga kasama niya sa club nila," she explained.

"That's what you're worried about?"

"Of course!" Jess exclaimed. "Gusto kong magka-friends, 'no, unlike you."

He went silent but afterwards, he grinned upon a realization. Mavi drank from his tumbler before saying, "well, in the first place, I don't like the term friends. In some cases kasi, I want something more than that," with the last sentence becoming a whisper. It was a good thing that she didn't hear that. "Anyway, I'm sure you'd get along with her. It's not like she had a choice to disagree, it'll be discomforting kung hindi man lang kayo mag-uusap for six months, 'di ba? Isa pa, I'm sure she'll like you. Ikaw pa."

Jess had rolled her eyes but deep inside, it was flattering. It's not like it was the first time Mavi had said words like that. In fact, there were times when she felt as if he had feelings for her. Because apparently, she had liked him ever since they first met. Though it sure is nothing special and just like one of those cliché happenings, it was still different for her. Meeting Mavi and having the chance to skate with him is the fairytale she had long dreamed of.

"What? Stop staring at me, mukha kang creepy stalker."

Mavi chuckled and picked up his cellphone from his bag. He touched a few keys before saying, "we're going to drop by the skating rink after lunch with Sir Oliver. 'Wag mong kakalimutan ang ice skates mo. You always tend to forget about it. Ang bata bata mo pa ay malilimutin ka na."

"Don't make it sound like you're far older than me. Parehas lang tayong sixteen, gago," she said, uttering a curse she always calls him whenever they're together. Jess stood up and wiped her sweat. "Si France nga pala? Hindi ko pa siya nakikita since kanina. Off ice ang training niya, 'di ba? Ayaw ba niya rito sa gym?"

"Maagang umalis kanina. He told me he had received an email from his coach saying he should come over to his place. Siguro ay doon na muna siya magt-training off ice tapos balik dito kapag on ice na. But I don't know. Malay mo may skating rink 'yong coach niya sa bahay nila."

Jess' eyes twinkled in wonder. "It must be great training at your coach's place, 'no?"

"Yeah."

•••

It was just like what Mavi had guessed. What appeared in front of France's eyes the moment Mason opened the door of one of the rooms inside the villa was an Olympic-sized rink which measures sixty meters on one direction and thirty meters on the other. There were a few skaters, about two kids and probably three seniors, all males. Benjamin wasn't there though.

"Do you train them all, Mason?" he asked though addressing him using his name was a bit discomforting.

"Yeah," Mason answered and glanced at his wristwatch. "Wait a second here, I'm going to get something. Start warming up."

Though France was a bit confused, he just nodded and did what his coach said. He placed his bag on one side and started stretching his arms and legs for a bit. He was sure the others took a glimpse at him though he didn't mind them because he was too shy to interact with them. The feeling of astonishment was still burning up in him. He didn't know Mr. Mason had a villa and owns a skating rink. Even so, there was no point for him to be surprised. He was a coach. Of course, he'd be rich.