EYES ON ICE - 00

Prologue

The usual enthusiasm was written all over France's face-the one that said, 'nothing could ever go wrong.' With his school bag continuously bouncing on his back while he walked towards the waiting station, he hummed the tune of his favorite cartoon's theme song that he watched every morning before going to school. The sound of his shoes clicking on the ground has a certain rhythm, not irritating but neither relaxing. The honking of the car's horns were a pain in the ass, although it didn't really matter when he arrived at the station.

"Magandang umaga po," he greeted the woman on a suit who constantly took a glimpse at her wristwatch. France secretly rolled his eyes when she didn't greet him back. He was kind of used to those kind of people but honestly, it's irritating. Why do some elders complain when children don't greet them and when they do, they act like they're full of themselves to not give a shit?

He sighed. For a sixth grade schooler, he sure kind of knew a lot. Well, it's either a bad thing or not but he didn't really care that much. He had no time to dwell on those things. He's graduating this year and the thought of where to study in high school had been bugging him recently. Frankly, he could go anywhere as long as there are things and experiences to achieve. The world is a vast and endless ocean, there are things yet to be discovered.

"Toy," a man who approached him suddenly called. "Pwedeng makitingin kung anong oras na?"

"Six thirty po," France answered and watched the man sigh in relief. He pointed at the man's bag. "Bukas po ang bag niyo."

"Hala, oo nga. Salamat."

Enthralled by what's inside, France smiled and asked, "Roller skates po 'yan, 'di ba? Nag-iskating po kayo?"

A sudden but genuine laugh became music to France's ears. He looked up to him with admiration in his eyes. "Yes. I'm a skater.. but on ice." The man's answer felt like fuel being spilled on his burning wonder. His heart throbbed about the thought of it and for a second, he knew he wanted to know more. "Similar ito sa roller skates pero this is actually called figure skates. Hindi gulong ang nakalagay sa ilalim ng sapatos pero blades. First time mo bang makakita nito?"

France quickly nodded. "Pwede ko pong hawakan?" he asked and received a nod. The moment he touched the shoes which color is mainly black, he felt a strange feeling, one that he had never felt before. "Kuya, masaya po bang mag-skating?"

"Well, there are different types of skating naman. Mayroong roller skating, skateboarding, ice, and figure skating. Less hassle ang roller skating and skateboarding since kahit saan, pwede mo silang gawin. Ang figure skating kasi, sa ice skating rinks lang talaga. Masyadong mahal din ang training and entrance fees. But if you'll ask me, figure skating is what I like the most. Expected na 'yon ang sagot ko since it's my sport and I haven't really tried other kinds of skating. Anyway, it's solely up to you and what you want."

A few minutes passed and a bus stopped at the station. The man waved him goodbye and walked to the vehicle when France shouted, "Kuya, ano pong pangalan niyo? Ako po si France!"

"Ken! Ken Madrigal!"

Ken, who was about to ride on the bus looked back at France who was already on the middle of the street, saying, "Mag-aaral po akong mag-figure skating kaya kailangan mo po akong turuan! Let's meet at the rink again, Kuya Ken!"

A loud honk from a car running towards France's direction was terror for twenty-one year old Ken Madrigal. And even though his mind was stopping him from running to the boy to save him, his body acted otherwise. One look at the kid who had a pair of shining eyes, similar to his when he first found his dream was the last sight he ever saw after everything ended with nothing but dark abyss.

And when France saw blood with his own naked eyes, with the figure skates thrown on one side, and with a man in front of him with dreams he thought he shattered, everything changed.