EYES ON ICE - 25

XXV

XXV. The Crossroads of the West (U.S. International Figure Skating Classic, ISU Challenger Series Part VII)

Several weeks later

"Did Sir Jay call you?" Sir Oliver asked France as soon as they stepped out of the airport. The sound of bags and suitcases being lugged by more than a hundred passengers who were mostly athletes with their teams in Salt Lake City International Airport entered through their ears. People were chattering as they made their ways towards the buses, cars, and taxis.

France, who walked beside Jess and Mavi's coach nodded and wore his mask as he answered, "nag-good luck lang po. May mga tinanong din po tungkol doon sa free skate ko." Their team, which consisted of competitors, their coaches, team leader, two team officials and two medics, got inside the bus occupied by the members of the Japanese team.

When France spotted Yuki at the back part of the bus, he signaled at him when their eyes met. He immediately approached him when the Japanese took his headphones off and waved his hand. "Do you mind if I sit here?" he asked and sat beside him when the response was a nod. "Rob's stuck inside."

Yuki laughed. "His fans must've missed him so much," he commented. "I tell you something.. he's always been the crowd's favorite, though it's a different story in the Grand Prix Series. He gets chased by girls.. like every single time."

"I don't see the reason why not," France uttered as they both chuckled. A few minutes later, the vehicle started running. He took out his phone and sent a text message to his sister, saying that they had safely arrived at the city. He then looked at the direction Yuki had his eyes on.

A glance outside was enough to make him stare at the view from the window. Salt Lake City might look like any other cities at the country but there was something unique and intriguing about the way it had enthralled France. The mountains had a diverse impact on how he loved the nature. He's not to blame, though. The county was encircled with mountains that bordered the eastern part of the city, containing narrow canyons. Moreover, the Great Salt Lake surrounded the northwest part, prior to its location in the northeast corner of the Salt Lake Valley.

"I have a feeling that things are bound to go wrong," Yuki commented and sighed heavily.

France's eyes shifted to the Japanese skater. "Was it about Luigi?" he asked, concerned. "I can find a way for you guys to meet up. He's pretty cool with me so I think he'll listen. It's also my suggestion that you talk to him after the competition. You wouldn't want to throw up your performance, would you?"

Yuki nodded twice and leaned on his seat. "We shouldn't let Rob meet him first, though." There was a hint of worry about the way he said that. Nevertheless, he was certain of his decision. If they were to immediately see Luigi at the hotel or at the practice arena tomorrow, he shouldn't let the two meet first. There's going to be chaos and he's sure of that.

•••

France had regretted that he was the first to go to their hotel room. He was already sweating when Dravie came in after a few minutes. When their eyes met, he immediately avoided his stares and headed right to the bathroom.