EYES ON ICE - 02

II. To Where the Journey Starts

"Javier! What the hell is up with the video?" France quickly took his phone far from his ear, due to his coach's loud voice. Though he had not least expected it, it still was embarrassing to receive an earful, especially because he's in a grocery store. "Who uploaded it? At bakit hindi mo ako sinabihan na may sarili pala kayong exhibition? Paano kung napaano ka?"

Scratching his nape, France placed the energy drink on the cashier and his payment before answering, "Don't worry, coach, ayos lang ako, promise. Si Mavi ho ang nag-upload ng live video. Deleted na pero kumalat na po sa twitter, pasensiya na." As soon as he stepped out of the store, the cold breeze embraced him and it made him shiver. Upon calling a taxi home, he listened to his coach's nagging while continuously apologizing. "Malilimutan din ng public 'yon, Sir Jay. Isa pa, hindi naman ho masisira ang image ko dahil lang do'n."

He heard his coach sigh from the other line. When he thought Sir Jay would nag at him again, he lent his ears, only to be surprised by his next words. "Do you think you can do the triple flip again?"

A smile slowly, but surely formed on France's lips. After going inside the taxi, he answered, "Babaguhin ko ba ang program ko, Sir?"

"I guess you would, since sasali ka sa international competitions. We're aiming for a higher GOE here. Mas mataas ang base value ng triple flips compared to salchows, loops, and toe loops. I think it'd be better if it's a quad pero kung hindi mo pa kaya, there's room for improvement naman. Besides, pupunta ka na sa U.S. Sooner or later, may papalit na sa pwesto ko. Show them what you've got, France."

On having his heart flutter, France's smile didn't fade, it became wide instead. He nodded though it didn't really matter because he was talking to Sir Jay on the phone. "I'll take note, Sir. Thank you."

When the call ended, it was then when he realized that the taxi had stopped. He gave his payment to the driver, thanked him and got off of the vehicle. He walked to the gate of their house that was huge enough for one to assume they were rich, opened it and went inside. Well, they actually were. That's mainly the reason why he was able to afford training lessons for figure skating, including the daily entrance fee. Except for talent, one essential thing required in figure skating is money. He was lucky enough to be born in a middle class family.

"Hi Richy, what's up?" France greeted their cat who was comfortably sitting on the sofa. He stroked its head and asked, "Nasaan ang mga tao? Tulog na na ba sila?" When he heard a meow as a response, he just chuckled and went to the kitchen where the lights were off.

France smiled the moment he turned the switch on and saw his father, together with some of his classmates and neighbors struggling to put the design and letters on the wall, forming the words 'Congratulations, France.' He watched them panic as they shouted, "Surprise!" in a startled voice.

"Bakit mukhang kayo pa ang na-surprise?" he asked and laughed. After placing his bag on one seat, he approached the visitors and thanked them. It was similar to the setup last year after he came home from Canada. He was lucky to have them. Even if he didn't win, he still received their heartfelt congratulatory expressions. It was more than enough, even though he was disappointed in himself. "Salamat po sa inyong lahat. Magbibihis lang ako saglit, kanina pa 'tong costume ko e."

His father approached him and whispered, "Tawagan mo na lang ang Mama mo, nasa business trip pa, e. Congrats, anak. Ang galing mo kanina, kasama kong nanood itong mga kapitbahay natin, tuwang-tuwa sila sa 'yo."

"Salamat, Pa. Pupunta na po ako sa taas."

He had been smiling in front of others but he knew he wasn't that happy, especially because his mother's not around. She promised him that she'd be there to watch his performance because his father couldn't come but in the end, she wasn't able to congratulate him personally. France sighed. He didn't know if it's immature for him to feel that but either way, he thought that maybe she wasn't proud of him at all.