EYES ON ICE - 28

XXVIII

XXVIII. Day 2 - Distant Eyes (U.S. International Figure Skating Classic, ISU Challenger Series Part X)

"Born and raised in America, he started skating at the age of ten and joined competitions when he was fifteen under the supervision of his father and renowned figure skater in the Olympics. Prior to his two year break in the sport, he's one of the two listed comeback skaters in this event. Twenty-four year old Rob Asher Davis.. representing the United States of America!"

Rob hated the way the commentator gave emphasis on who his father was. Even so, he was already feeling nervous so that didn't really matter. Him getting anxious was different and he obviously didn't like how his hands had gotten way too cold even before stepping on ice. If it wasn't because of Luigi's performance, then he didn't know what it was.

"He's skating to Now United's Chained Up." The gold chain that was attached on the neckline of his black, fitted sleeves threw out sparks, along with the silver beads and sequins. Despite how artistic his costume looked, he couldn't find the reason for his confidence to show up. The thought that he'd flub half of the elements was terrifying and never in his life did he wish for it.

People were cheering when Rob skated into the center of the rink. The applauses were much more louder now and it was definitely because he was one of the skaters representing the organizer's country. He didn't like how they were rooting for him, though. He knew very well that he'd only let them down if he messes up.

The first line of the song served as a signal for him to start. Upon skating the choreography that Jeremy worked on, Rob felt a little lost. After the three turn entry for his first jump, he checked his position by slowing down before the takeoff. He then brought his free leg forward to align the both sides of his body as he eventually launched for the rotation and landed on the right back outside edge. When his left foot stepped on ice just a few seconds after, he uttered a tsk.

"Great flow for the Salchow at the approach and takeoff but that was a two-footed landing," the commentator said. "How will he cover up his program after messing up his first quad since his two year break from the sport?"

It only made him feel uneasy. Well, it wasn't that Rob expected those words to whip him back into shape. It's already too late for that. Even his teammates were aware that it'd be a miracle for him to pick himself up at the second half of the program. If he's going to be honest at the meantime, there are rooms.. but only for mistakes.

At the flying spin, he was cursing in his mind. The sound made by the blades as he spun on ice contributed on what he was feeling. And as much as he didn't want to, he couldn't help but remember what Luigi looked like earlier when he approached his coach outside the rink.

Rob was the most concerned of all. If he hadn't stopped himself from rushing towards the Italian skater a while ago, he would've regretted it later. He was afraid of how his mind works because for a moment there, he got worried over Luigi's actions. After years of being treated like he wasn't even an acquaintance, he had almost forgave him for a second.. just because he had trouble with his breathing? What kind of bullshit was that? Was he actually being insane?