EYES ON ICE - 23

XXIII. A Deal and A Promise (On-Ice Training Part VII)

"Is Rob going to be okay?" France asked Yuki in the dining room early in the morning. Their yawns indicated that they hadn't got enough sleep, most probably because of what happened two days ago. Things have been kind of awkward since that day and awfully enough, Mason haven't come back to the villa.

Yuki paused and placed his chopsticks down. He stared at his food for about five seconds and then turned back at France with a smile. "Of course," he answered. "That's Rob. He's our Rob. Sooner or later, he'll figure out what to do. He can't let that affect everything." It was a stable reply but if he's going to be honest, he really didn't know. Rob's situation was too personal and they weren't in the right place to meddle. No words from them could make him feel better. Only those who were involve could actually figure things out.

France could only nod. He continued on eating while the silence crawled up to their seats. A few minutes later, he looked at Yuki and stared at him for seconds. When the Japanese threw him a confused look, he snapped. "I just uh.. realized that it must be hard for you to see him like that. I mean, I felt sad for him, but probably not as much as what you felt," he commented.

"Yeah," Yuki replied. "It's devastating for me.. to see him like that. Rob practically hated being alone so it must be his instinct that made him treasure everyone who came into his life but when he stayed with me for years, I thought that maybe it's his choice. It's hard, I know. And that's why I give all my respect for him. He deserved that."

He wanted that kind of friendship too. France knew he already had one but the thought of earning their respect never left his mind. As much as he despised it, he wanted to get involved, and to be trusted, and to be depended on. It probably was just his weird way of thinking but that's what he wished for.

"But Francey.." There was a pause after that and it wasn't because Yuki didn't know what to say. He was just trying to find the right timing. "It's not about who came first or who felt bad more than anyone. It's not about weighing our emotions. The fact that we're here for Rob.. is what matters," he explained.

France smiled. For a minute, he finally understood what Yuki meant. After they finished breakfast, the two headed upstairs to go back to their rooms. Before France opened the door, he glanced at his friend to the left, and watched him turned the knob. "Hey, uh.. I was just wondering how'd you guys face Luigi," he said quietly, almost making it a whisper. "I know it's my first time seeing him the other day but he doesn't look as cold as I expected him to be. Please talk to him in a nice way as possible, not that I'm interfering or what. Just a suggestion."

Yuki went silent. He stared at the door for a second and immediately turned back at him. "I'll keep that in mind," he answered and went inside. He felt like trembling with the thought that he'd soon be able to meet Luigi. He hadn't found the right words yet, let alone the courage to face him. He knew he needed to but deep inside, he's afraid that he'd never be ready.

•••

"Spread your arms more," Jeremy told Rob with a serious look. He watched the skater do what he said as the sound of sweeping blades filled the empty rink. It was just the two of them inside and he wasn't used to the silence that was surrounding the place, especially because there was a sense of awkwardness in the air. "Make it look like you're being succumbed by the night. Close your eyes for a second but make sure you're portraying the emotions."

Rob didn't nod. He just carried on what he was doing. Starting from turns and steps, he entered the pre-chorus of the song with arms that were spread out, his head that had shifted towards the left direction, looking down. In a split-second, he suddenly turned with closed eyes and approached the triple axel with a left forward outside edge, strongly checking the takeoff.