EYES ON ICE - 18

XVIII. A Sinister Comeback

The atmosphere at the balcony felt a bit different from all the other nights the two best friends had spent on a long wooden chair, at the said area which reminded them of their childhood memories. Although there were small noises from outside the house, the silence sent calmness. France never knew that being home could feel this good.

"I heard you ditched school. Sinabi sa akin ni Alysson," France told Brian and laughed when his friend fell silent. "Buti hindi ka napagalitan? Two days straight din 'yon. Dapat ay nanood ka na lang ng live after."

Brian scratched the back of his head, sighed, and answered, "makakahabol naman ako sa lessons, huwag kang mag-alala. Isa pa ay gusto kong manood. Minsan lang makakita ng international competition dito, eh. Ako pa naman ang nag-compose ng music mo sa free skate. Bawal bang magmayabang kahit konti?" He then looked straight at France with knitted eyebrows. "What's up with you looking depressed before the free skate, anyway?"

It was France's time to be quiet, especially when his friend didn't take his eyes off of him. He sighed and stared at the night sky before replying, "just personal problems. Ganoon naman ako lagi bago ang competition. Mas grabe pa ang pressure ngayon kasi senior level na ang nilalabanan ko."

He couldn't bring himself to tell Brian that it was actually because of what he heard at the night of the event's second day. It wasn't that he was lying. There are just things that he needed to keep for himself. Not that he didn't trust anyone but because he just didn't want them to know. Not because he'd look pathetic in their eyes. It's just that he felt like he isn't obliged to share anything personal to anyone, even to his close friends and family.

Brian slowly nodded. He then shifted his eyes at the direction France was looking at and genuinely smiled afterwards. "But you know.. seeing you skate to my music feels so surreal. Bagay na bagay 'yong choreography. Your free skate program was what I liked the most though I'd really like to watch you perform it cleanly," he said.

"T-thanks," France answered without looking at him. He was that flattered. "I'll be practicing hard for you, then. Demanding si Mr. Alvarez." The both of them laughed.

"Of course. You have plenty of time though I doubt you'll make it past through the pressure."

"Ano'ng ibig mong sabihin?"

Brian grinned and turned to him. "Demanding or not, wala na akong pakialam. But you know that I'm with you through everything," he replied and placed his arm at France's shoulders. "That's why you definitely should show me the best free skate program at the Grand Prix Series. Pwede ring sa Olympics. Madali naman akong kausap."

"Shouldn't you tell me first to do good at the Challenger Series para mag-qualify ako riyan sa mga binabanggit mo?" France uttered and shook his head as a sign of disapproval. "Malabo na nga akong mag-qualify sa Grand Prix. Baka nalilimutan mong may minimum technical score pang kailangang ma-meet bago ka makapasok do'n. Say I meet the technical score. What do I do after? I didn't join the World Junior Championships last season."

"Well, oo nga," Brian replied and looked far away as if he was thinking something. Minutes later, he suddenly snapped his fingers. "You're skating as a senior. Kino-consider naman nila 'yon, 'di ba?"

"Once I meet the minimum technical score," France answered. Brian looked at France with a determined look. The both of them had their eyes on each other upon realizing what the other one meant. They were both thinking the same thing. It sounded difficult but the thought that there's a chance has already been planted in their minds.

•••

"Yuki's with me. Yeah, we're at France's," Mason said with his phone near his ear as he sat at a bench outside France's home. "The day after tomorrow would be our flight, or maybe after the awarding ceremony. He insisted to be back as soon as possible. I mean, I've thought about it too but we could use a day or two to like, rest. He probably wouldn't want that, though. How's it going there, anyway?"