EYES ON ICE - 14

XIV

XIV. Day 2 - The Battle of Shorts (Asian Open Figure Skating Trophy, ISU Challenger Series Part III)

France's costume for his short program wasn't glittering like almost all of his other costumes at the past seasons. Designed by Sir Jay's acquaintance, the white Barong Tagalog-inspired sleeve, paired with black figure skating pants seemed like funeral clothes. He liked how it matched his program music without looking awkward, though it may look weird for others because of the unusual design.

He was gathering confidence because he knew that even the smallest turn of events can throw him off. Upon watching the others perform, he couldn't help but feel nervous. They were all good, as expected. And it's only normal for him to feel worried. It's his first international event in the senior level, after all. It's not like he can easily go in there and beat all those experienced skaters like what most main characters in a movie do.

"France," Sir Jay called. "Was your lunch good?"

His eyebrows crumpled. Half-confused, he answered, "kind of." He then shifted his eyes at the skater performing in the rink and smiled. "I would actually prefer to eat tinola but I wouldn't be in good condition for the event. Paniguradong mabubusog ako at hindi ko 'yon gusto, lalo't may competition after."

Applauses were heard when the current skater's program ended. France heavily breathed and kept his head down for a minute before eventually taking his skate guards off and getting in the rink when the skater before him stepped out. The cold atmosphere came to embrace him. It all felt familiar, considering that the place is his home rink, though that only made him even more nervous. As he skated at the sides, all the way to the center, his eyes landed on Yuki who's seriously staring at him. He was the first one to avoid the tension that had been slowly growing between them ever since last night.

He heard a couple of cheers that screamed, "go, France!" It was his clubmates and former classmates in high school pointing to someone at their side. France quickly glanced at that direction and saw his father with Brian at his side. It made him smile.

"The next skater on ice... France Javier, representing the host country, Philippines!"

Cheers filled the skating rink as he proclaimed his self to the audience by placing his right hand near his chest and extending his left arm to his side. France then reached the center of the rink and positioned himself by bending his knees into a sit, with his head looking up and hands that touch his upper cheek and chin. As soon as the music started playing, he stood up by gliding his right foot into a circle, followed by his body.

"He is skating to the music 'Don't Cry at my Tombstone' played and composed by Wilder Hill."

The music was a bit fast at the start, considering that it actually tells a story of a certain someone, portrayed by France himself. "For the first planned jump.." He approaches to a right back outside edge and enters the jump in a left forward outside edge, rotating his body on air with a total of three and a half revolutions. "A triple axel but with a two-footed landing. He's hopefully off to a great start in his senior international debut after winning the national championships last November, " the commentator said.