EYES ON ICE - 29

XXIX

XXIX. Day 3 - A Free Skate's Freedom (U.S. International Figure Skating Classic, ISU Challenger Series Part XI)

"Mathys Bacri of France have earned a total of 140.45 in the men's free skating and 218.36 in the combined score."

It was loud at the Salt Lake City Sports Complex but Sir Ryan did his best to make Dravie stay focused even if he knew that there's a small chance he'd listen. He held the tissue holder stuffed toy in front of him as he said, "Focus at the program components. Of course, you need to remember the quality of the execution of the jumps but what people want to see is your artistic ability."

Dravie slowly nodded as he kept his eyes on ice. He was feeling nervous but at the same time, there was this excitement that had been crawling up to his sleeves. He didn't want to know the reason and he didn't want to blame anyone for it. Whatever happens today would be his own choice and not someone else's.

"Dravie." He suddenly snapped. "Gusto kong gawin mo kung ano 'yong kaya mo ngayon para sa huli, wala kang pagsisisihan. Alam ko ang iniisip mo at hindi na ako magsisinungaling. You need to be able to be good at something so you won't feel like you're being left out. Trying a quad right now.. it won't help you."

Although he'd admit that his coach was right, Dravie was leaning to the side of what he wanted. He was being stubborn and he's aware of that. Even so, there's a part in him that was saying that his thoughts were acceptable and he just wanted to prove himself. In his case, there's harm in trying. However, he still wanted to try.

"Dravie San Jose is the next skater on ice.. representing the Philippines. Along with his team, he's one of the Filipino national athletes who are actively participating in the Challenger Series this season." A lukewarm response of the audience were heard as the skater warmed himself up before going to the center of the rink. "The music is Four Seasons - Winter by Antonio Vivaldi, performed by RG Piano."

Ryan's palms were cold when he watched his student glide in time with music. From behind the rink boards, he was clutching the tissue holder from time to time. He could sense that something was up with Dravie. He's his coach, after all. He just didn't know if he's worthy of that title.

The first jump, which is the triple Salchow, was taken off from the back inside of the left blade and landed on the opposite foot and edge. Dravie's right leg slightly wobbled on the landing as the commentator said, "Triple Salchow.. That had full rotations even if it wasn't clean."

At a twenty second time interval, Dravie approached the second jump with a turn and started the takeoff on the back outside edge of his skating foot and landed on the same foot and edge. The takeoff and landing was great and it probably was because it was the jump he's most good at.

"He knows what he's doing. A perfect triple loop. Dravie San Jose is the only skater in this competition who doesn't have a quad in his planned program content. How will he make up for the lack of points in the technical score in order to get a chance in the podium?"