EYES ON ICE - 08

VIII. The Deal With Triple Axels and Snow in Spring (On-Ice Training Part III)

The workout gym was filled with silence even if the three skaters were there. The reason for that is the video playing in a branded phone which tries to steal their voices due to awe. The sound of the clock ticking never seem to enter their ears. Having their sight focused only at the front, everything else didn't matter anymore. It was eye-catching and not to mention, it was worth their time.

"Was that a counter turn?"

"Apparently, yes," Rob answered, glancing at France and Benjamin whose eyes were fixed on his cellphone, watching a video of a Japanese figure skater. "His triple axels are in a whole different level, entered in the most difficult turns. Spread eagle, back counter, twizzle. He's great, right?"

France glimpsed at Rob with glittering eyes. "That's more than great, dude! That's like, totally awesome. I've never entered my triple axel using the back counter. I mean, I can't even get a perfect score in that jump," he answered.

Rob Asher had chuckled while fixing the position of his eyeglasses. He was beaming at the thought of how his friends had immediately admired his idol. It felt like he was showing off, though not directly. Either way, he's just proud of him and introducing his trademarks and moves were almost enough for him.

"Left back outside counter," Benjamin suddenly said which made their attentions shifted on him. "He skates along the curve opposite from the rotational direction of the jump and sets the required edge for the takeoff. His turn follows the counterclockwise exit curve and the takeoff had no assistance from the free foot. That's absolutely.. terrifying. Have you ever shared a podium with him?"

"No, unfortunately," Rob answered. "You've seen how talented he is, right? And I told you I've only been in the Olympics twice. I placed 15th in 2014 and 20th in 2018. I've been into the World Championships once but he withdrew from the event so I haven't had the chance to compete with him. I won't be able to be in the same podium with him, anyway."

"Is that the reason why you've been training so hard in your two year hiatus?" France asked.

"No. I only came back into training this year. And it's not like I went into hiatus because I wasn't good enough," Rob answered, having his mood slightly changed. His eyes were screaming forlornness as he received stares. "My rink mate, someone I was really close with.. died five years ago. Since then, I felt like, no matter how good I am at my programs, the only person who was there to cheer me on is not going to do the same thing anymore. That was when I realized.. maybe I needed a break after all. I needed to have a time with myself to think about things. And thankfully, I've already found the answer I've long been searching for."

France fell silent when Rob glimpsed at him. He was a hundred percent sure that it was about Ken. The person who saved him from the accident five years ago was Rob's best friend and rink mate. For a moment there, he felt like he couldn't move. What was he supposed to tell him? He was aware that he's at fault and that he's sorry? That's obviously absurd and it's not like a late apology counts at the very least.

The odd moment of silence was broken when a man suddenly came in, wearing black figure skating pants and long sleeves topped up with a gray Polar fleece. France knew right off the bat that he was also one of Mason's students. Of course, he had seen him in the rink when he first got here.

"Oh my, did I interrupt Mason's triplets?" the man said before taking off his sunglasses and winking at them.

Rob was the first one to throw a disgusted face, followed by Benjamin who uttered a tsk as a sign of annoyance. "The hell are you doing here, Yuki? Thought you're out for a week to buy your new skates?" he asked sarcastically.