35| Veiled Past - 1

I recommend re-reading "Chapter 17: Drive" before reading this

❦︎

"Here" she heard a kind voice before a beautiful sunflower came in front of her eyes "It's not ice cream but I hope you like it"

The person holding the sunflower had hazel eyes, a color brighter than the sun. The smallest of smiles adorned his face as he stared at her.

She smiled happily while taking the sunflower from his hands and muttering a small thank you. Before the boy could say anything else, she heard her name being called at a distance.

"Mia! I told you not to run around!" her mother scolded as the little girl pouted a little and her small hands tightened around the soft flowers.

An idea popped into her mind.

"Mom, it's for you" she gave the sunflower to her mother as her mother glared at it for a few seconds, contemplating whether to remain mad or melt.

She of course melted as she crouched down and hugged her daughter. After parting, the mother took the flower and offered a smile to her daughter "Thank you baby"

Mia's eyes widened in surprise. It was the first time in months she had seen her mother smiling at her, otherwise, all she had witnessed was her mother weeping silently behind closed doors.

"Make sure it doesn't happen next time" Abigor's stern voice, made the mother-daughter snap their head up at him.

The mother instantly stood up and bowed in front of him "I apologize Mr. Hayes"

Her mother tugged at her hand as she started dragging her away towards their home. Mia, being the curious one, turned around to look back at the kind boy who had offered her a beautiful flower.

Her dark eyes met his hazel ones as she waved back at him happily. A small carefree smile surfaced on his face as Mia felt giddy inside.

He had the most beautiful pair of eyes she had ever seen in her 10 years of life.

Soon, a small cream-colored house came into her view. The house Mia and her mother had moved into recently. A burning upside-down car adorned the sidewalk as dark clouds gathered around the sky.

Sometimes it'd be burning cars or burning machines, and sometimes it'd be burning bodies.

The mafia war was a curse to the general citizen. Both the American and Spanish mafia were savages.

Mia's head snapped towards the sound of the door opening of the house beside them as her mother's pace increased. Just as their neighbor was about to step out, her mother pushed her inside the house harshly.

Mia hissed in pain as she rubbed her frail wrists because of her mother's tight grip till now.

"Ms. Leighton!"

Mia heard her neighbor's voice as her mother smiled looking towards them. Mia had never seen her neighbors because her mother would make sure no one saw her ever.

She doubted that the neighbors even knew that she was here.

"Where have you been? It's not safe out!"