01| Pianist

❦︎

"We're going out in 1 hour"

Kahlil said as Aria spared him a glance from the mirror. The makeup artist was taking longer than usual to do her makeup and Aria was getting tired of it.

"Hm" she replied as her gaze snapped at the reflection of the petite young woman, Aria recently hired as her makeup artist "I would have been prepared before time if my staff didn't take this much time"

The girl flinched as her eyes met Aria's "I-I am sorry mam but I got an order from the organizers that you need to look perfect for the e-event"

Aria's eyes flared "Isn't it your job to get me ready before ti-"

"-Aria, be nice" Kahlil interjected as Aria looked at his reflection in anger. But his hard glare made her shut up and looked down while heaving out a sigh.

"I'm sorry Nina" Aria said as Nina's eyes widened in shock.

"I-It's ok mam" she breathed out as Aria offered her a small smile before looking at herself again while pointing at her eyes, silently ordering Nina to do her eyes now which Nina instantly obliged.

Minutes passed as Kahlil sat on a spare chair while they could hear announcements and performances just a little far away. He clicked his tongue while continuously tapping his feet on the ground.

Aria's gaze dropped to his feet as she rolled her eyes "Will you stop it? It's not my first time performing in front of thousands you know"

At this Kahlil stopped, "This event is important for our reputation. Hotshots from all around the world are coming here, one wrong performance and we will be ruined" he said as Aria stared at her reflection with no emotion.

"I even heard that many top Mafias are attending this because they have a meeting after this" Nina said in a hushed whisper while setting Aria's thick blonde hair up in a stylish bun.

Aria's face broke down in a painful scowl as Kahlil took a step forward, examining her expression.

"Ms Nina, we would appreciate it if you just did your job" he warned as Nina quickly nodded and speeded up.

"Yes sir" she replied while Aria held a dazed look, not saying a single word after.

● ● ●

"Are you sure you want to do this? We can make an exc-"

"Kahlil, I'm fine" Aria cut him off as she ran her hand through her backless dark red mermaid dress. It was a little tight she had to admit, but it was all for a few hours so she would bear it.

They both stood behind the dark curtain which separated the marvellous stage with a grand piano all set for her and not to mention hundreds of elites awaiting her presence.

"I cannot back down now" she whispered more to herself as she blew air between her fists while her heart hammered against her ribs. No matter how many times she performed, the anxiety before playing would always get her.

"And now, the moment you have all been waiting for! Multi-award-winning, multi-talented Aria Leighton is here to grace us with her genius on the special request of Mr Sullivan!"

The announcer announced as Aria instantly straightened up and breathed in and out deeply, trying to calm her nerves.

She wouldn't have even attended the program if Owen Sullivan, the organizer of the event, wasn't a good acquaintance of her.