Chapter 21 : Fading from my memory

The last thing I remember, is falling asleep on Mira's couch. When I woke up, I was yet again in Omen, seeing the very same thing as I saw when I arrived on my very first night.

I thought knew where the hall would lead me. I thought knew what I will see, but yet again, this place keeps surprising me.

This time, there was no door. This time, there was no screaming. I walked right through the empty hallway, to the room where I first met It.  And there it was, laying softly on the cold ground and breathing heavily. I have almost forgotten the terrible state it's been in the last time I saw it. 

The previously polished marble was covered in dust, and the once menacing echo felt lonely and desperate. As I walked in, It lifted it's head as if to greet me, producing a barely audible sound at the back of it's throat. It's once bright and menacing eyes were now but two dull lumps of coal.

There was a pool of blood next to it, calmly dripping from the hole in its chest where the swords once have been. Sitting down next to it, I could see that it was at its final moments. As much as I was upset to let it go, I knew that it was beyond saving.

I could feel my heart pounding heavily in my chest, and I thought it could feel it too. It stood up and approached me. Bringing it's head forward, as if to listen to my heartbeat it neared my chest. The sensation was faint, much like a ripple on the surface of a lake as It immersed into myself, leaving nothing but a trail of blood behind.

Above me shone a dull ray of light, escaping from the ceiling. Moments after It was gone, the entire structure of Omen began to dissipate. First the ceiling, softly, as if washed away by the gentlest soap known to man.

Sitting on the floor, I stared sullenly as my only source of comfort faded into nothing. A bright blue sky shone above me, a cool spring breeze catching flight in the cracks appearing in the stone. Birds chirped joyfully, welcoming the newly born season.

I felt a light hand on my shoulder, seeing a ghostly figure of Ethel standing above me. Her expression was peaceful, and her eyes emotionless.

"I forgive you" she whispered as she brushed a gentle hand over my face, and just like that, faded completely into the breeze.

Walls crumbled silently, and soon enough, everything melted away leaving me sitting on an open field.

Looking up at the sky I saw a butterfly fly above me, it's pale wings fluttering carelessly, carrying  it to wherever it pleased.

I was now just as free as it, but why...why did this victory feel so empty? 

I observed it as it landed onto a flower, which was peacefully swaying next to a creek. I guess it's true what they say- destruction and violence is brutal and loud, but peace and healing takes long and quiet years to bloom.

In front of me an ethereal golden bridge faded into existence. On the other side I could see Mira's joyful silhouette waving to me, calling for me to come near.

I thought I had lost everything...but looking at it now, I have gained way more than I could ever have desired.

So I did. I walked towards my friend, allowing the warm sunlight on my face fade the last pieces of memory of my past.

At last, I am free.