Chapter 15: Ethel and The Red Twins

I don't even know where to start here, so I'll start this chapter by bringing back my favourites - Lists!

So...

#1 :the City of Luces is restored. The flood is gone. Mira is up and running

#2: There are o news from Roger.

#3: You will find out soon enough

I woke up in a summery meadow. Crabgrass and a variety of wildflowers bloomed around me. Clouds slowly floated overhead, and swallows swirled under the welcoming Sun.

For the first few moments I did not want to open my eyes. I felt so relaxed and peaceful, I didn't want to think about what could have happened. With my full chest, I was breathing. You know that feeling when you're spinning really fast in one place, and when you stop, and everything around you feels like it's on a Carousel? That's the feeling I had while I slowly regained consciousness.

The smell of linden trees wafted in the air. Slowly, I began to stretch, feeling my body regain composure. Yesterday's memories felt like a dream. Maybe it was a dream. Now, as I try to remember everything that happened, It all seems like a big dream.

I grunted in satisfaction, feeling my muscles tense, as if from a long workout. Alas, my good mood was shortly interrupted as I felt a presence standing over me.

Squinting from the midday sun, I saw the blurry figure of Ethel, who slowly came into focus. Her golden hair grew longer, and her head was adorned with a crown of daisies. Her blue eyes could only be compared to the sky above, her pink lips with the petals of a rose.

She held out her hand to me.

"Stand up."

Surprised by this change I stood up, feeling a few bones creak from prolonged immobility. Still a little dizzy, I looked over at Ethel. More freckles had blossomed on her face since the last time we'd seen each other (no, not with fairies, those were my fears. Or was she real then? Anyhow I'm talking about that lonely night in back in Omen).

She was wearing a mustard yellow dress, with brown skirt overalls. Only then did I notice that she was holding a guitar.

"Come on, I have something to show you."

Like an idiot, I ran after her, and soon we were standing in front of a big wooden manor . There were spruce trees growing around the house, with red squirrels running around and sparrows jumping merrily on the branches.

Swinging the door open, Ethel ushered me into a large hall, where there was a beautiful oak table standing in front with a large window. On this table was a beautiful samovar, as well as a set of china mugs and plates. On this table there also was a respectful number of different desserts and dishes, all beautifully arranged on lace napkins. These napkins matched beautifully with similar curtains, that complimented the small lights that were hung all over the room. 

Needless to say, I was awestruck. After sitting me down at the table, she started plucking the strings of her guitar, looking for the right notes to a song. Before that, she slipped me a plate of strawberry flavoured macaroons, and a cup of lingonberry tea.

I ate in silence, listening as the melody soon filled the room. She was playing it beautifully for a long time, but a part of me wanted her to stop immediately, and ask her to speak at least one more word. 

" well, how are you doing? " I asked, watching as her face clouded over. "But it's been so long since we talked..."

"Like you care how I'm doing," she replied. Two dangerous red sparks appeared in her eyes. "Without you, imagine, my life is going just fine."

I didn't know what to say to her for a few moments, and just sort of sadly nodded my head."well, I hope you're happy?"

"Of course I am! I have so many friends, people just adore me... I can't say the same about you"

Swallowing in my resentment, I tried my best to remain silent.

" I... I'm very happy for you," I replied with a strained voice. "You've become very pretty lately."

"Which is more of what I can't say for you," she laughed, "Why did you come here in the first place? I thought you had other things to do."

" I..." I didn't stop for a moment, not finding an answer to that question. " I don't know. I had no thought, I just kinda showed up here. It's been so long since we...talked... Maybe you'll give me another chance. I'll try to change and improve... Just give me a sign."

"Why are you talking all this nonsense!" she said, flipping her golden hair over her shoulder "haven't you had enough? I forgave you a long time ago. Just shut up about it, huh?" Not gonna lie, those words hurt me a little bit, but I was happy it was finally coming to an end.

"So... How can we be friends again?"

" Don't get your hopes up."

We finished our meal in silence, and she walked me to my room. Closing the door behind me, I sat down on the bed and saw It looking at me.

I was a little surprised when I saw it. This time its bloody heart was free, and only tiny embers flickered in its eyes.

It walked slowly toward me, and it was the first time I welcomed It.

It looked me straight in the eyes, I saw these twin fires quietly fading. It came to me, hanging its head. Every moment I watched it, It looked even sadder and more feeble.It jumped up on my bed and laid its head on my lap.

And in that moment I knew I didn't want it to leave. Even after everything I'd been going through, I couldn't imagine life without it. I couldn't imagine living without it.

We had our arguments, we had our pains. I became accustomed to it's presence, and In some ways it was empty inside without it. It was a small key to my past, and the memories that I have shared with it and Ethel along the way. I knew that if it stayed, nothing good would happen, but I also knew that I didn't want It to leave. Ethel left me, and I couldn't bear to lose the only thing that reminded me of her.

I understood at this point that it wasn't Ethel Who was to blame for it's presence. Yes of course it was because I began to communicate with her that It appeared, but watching as the red twins of it's eyes dimmed, I have realised that they have lost the fight.

Ethel had her battles, and also her pains. I didn't know exactly what she had, but I began to realise that sometimes to help someone you have to leave them.

If you truly love someone, you will find the strength in yourself to let them go.

The Cruel Side of Hearts [COMPLETED]जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें