Chapter 9: Renewal Of Dawn

I felt cold again in my sleep. I knew I was asleep, but something wouldn't let me get up. I knew, I knew what to expect, But those shackles that were around my heart only clenched tighter. My voice was trapped in my throat, which felt dry and uncomfortable. 

In the cold darkness, those yellow eyes met me again. Staring at me as if I were prey. I stared at my shadow, almost forgetting its existence after long days of separation. But there would be no such peace until I found the answer, until then, It would never leave. 

What was strange was that I was home again. In the distance I could barely hear the peaceful crackling of the logs in the fireplace, and the cold winter wind in the chimney. Unfortunately this cozy and magical mood was tainted by the torment of conscience that came every time It appeared. For years I struggled with it, with every little victory came another mountain of sorrows.

It was examining me, expanding his maw, and showing It's sharp fangs. Once I was afraid of him, wishing he would pierce his fangs right through my heart. I would have been willing to do anything, I wouldn't have minded if he hadn't torn me to shreds, but such was the punishment.

"Let me go, do you hear?" I shouted into the void "I'm sick of it, I get it, just let me go, If you don't let me go, kill me.!"

My blood boiled in my veins  as It began a terrifying laughter . The ground was spinning out from under me yet again, and my mind was stuck in a merciless whirlpool of madness.

I woke up again, and saw my old playground, where children were frolicking, a lively melody playing in the distance.  Everything in this scene would have seemed perfect, if it weren't that these were some of my worst memories before her. It was as if It wants to prove to me once again that there is no escaping it.

Yes, those were the Memories which had occurred many, many years ago. Now, when I looked at them from a different vantage point, I saw how the air had begun to suffocate. Though imperceptible to the unarmed eye, You could just feel the mood turning dark and Gray, and the familiar Anger consuming my senses.. I used to think it was just an accident, But lo and behold, even years later that Wrath strikes me again and again.

When I finally really woke up, there was an air of silence in the sky. Butterflies swirled around me, and birds broke out a whimsical melody. Next to me, I could feel Roger's sleeping body. I lifted myself up on my elbows and gently examined his paw. To to my surprise it was completely healed.

I was interrupted by one of the little creatures, who was rather carelessly poking me with a stick. He too had large, expressive eyes, like all the others.

"Eat this ripe fruit," he said in a high, almost squeaky voice, "You'll like it a lot, Eat it?"

I almost agreed as some sort of uncertainty came into my memory. Something was clearly telling me to not take the fruit from him. 

" No thanks..." I responded.

" Well, please!" replied the latter, drawing out syllables in a gentle, almost angelic voice. " Please sir, try a bite."

I decided not to risk it. With great regret, I shook my head again.

Realising that I could not be persuaded, this little boy began to walk away from me with a hung head.

"Wait!" I shouted after him, "Have you seen a book? It's big and red, with gold letters on the cover?"

"Nope!" squeaked the little lad, "I don't know, I can't help you, but I know who can. Follow me!"

He started to run frantically and I barely had time to stand up and go chase after him. As I was running Roger came jogging next to me barking excitedly.

As we were I noticed that we were nearing a village, with a lot of beautiful chunky mushrooms, which I later realised were houses.

A beautiful Rainbow loomed over the horizon. I kept running down the narrow, dusty path, very curious about where this small and nimble creature would take me.The smell of fresh baked goods wafted into the air. Everywhere I looked I saw a large number of these little creatures, wearing beautifully woven dresses, pants, and shirts.

As I ran, everyone was a little surprised and stepped back to let me pass, though none of them looked frightened. Some of them flew right to up to my eyes, I'm Looking at me as with such surprise as I am at them.

Some of the boldest and most playful grabbed hold of Roger's withers and rolled with glee as he galloped forward.

Just when I thought I was going to collapse from the fatigue of this long run, the tiny fellow I was chasing stopped in a clearing where a giant mushroom house stood.

"Here we are!" he squeaked, and Gently knocked on the door.