Chapter 8: On the Other Side of the Mirror

I have done a stupid thing and I am starting to regret my decision. Mira had left me alone on the beautiful sands of the diamond beaches, and I, being the idiot I am got lost. To make matters worse I got lost while running away.

Why would I be running away, you ask? Ehh...Mira was not allowing me to take the book and go search for the red sisters...soo...

I could feel the weight of the book press comfortingly to my side, where my bag was. But unfortunately, it took me 40 minutes and becoming hungry to realise that I would rather go to Mira's and have food than go on adventures in an unknown city. But now I am lost, and even Roger can't help.

I'm honestly surprised that he hasn't vanished yet. Most "brainfarts" vanish as soon as they reach the edge of omen (Ie- birds) or after a few minutes to an hour depending on how much though was put into them. The only one that hasn't left was It. And Roger apparently. Surprisingly, he is also a Schnauzer, even though I have no knowledge of dogs and definitely wouldn't remember such a complicated name. However, he is here, so something must have worked out.

I was following him thoughtlessly until we reached an opening in the dark cliff that was surrounding the beach. Before I could process what he was doing, Roger ran off into the opening, his barks echoing loudly on the walls. 

Not having another option, I stepped in, and allowed the darkness to swallow me whole. This place...It made me uncomfortable. It was as if I was reliving the day I met It. Fortunately, the earthy smells and the sound of dripping water calmed me down. I was glad to have at least one differentiating thing from those horrid memories.

As I walked further, the last bits of light have vanquished, leaving me to rely fully on my other senses. After a few minutes my eyes have adjusted to the darkness. After fifteen, the sound of water droplets became annoying. After a half an hour a panic began to rise in my chest as I found no sign of Roger.

Suddenly, ground began to shift under my feet and stalactites have begin falling from the ceiling, shattering loudly. In the midst of chaos I heard a whimper, and raced towards the sound, trying my best to avoid being crushed by the debris.

In the farthest corner I saw Roger, his paw stuck under a fallen piece of rock. With all of my strength I have somehow managed to lift it up, only to see his paw bruised and bloody. Roger looked at me with eyes full of sadness. Not having any other choice, I hoisted him up and began moving as fast as possible towards the exit of the cave, as the rocks and the walls of the cave collapsed within Itself.

Almost halfway back, I realised that i have dropped the book somewhere behind. Out of a moment of pure impulse, I turned back around the corner, only to see a quick hand grab the spine of the book and drag it down an unknown corridor. Running out of breath I followed the thief, my arms beginning to shake from Roger's weight. 

Catching my breath, I saw the small creature with my book, Its eyes darting stealthily all around the room. It ran to a lake, and after throwing a few final glances at the walls It jumped straight into the waters, taking the book with it. I threw myself to the edge of the lake,  Roger still whimpering in my arms. By the time I got there the small ripples from the creature began to fade, being replaced by my own ragged reflection.

Before I knew it tears began racing down my cheeks, disturbing the deafening silence with rhythmic "plops" as they defaced the smooth surface of the waters. 

A small growl from Roger brought me back to reality. I looked at him and spotted the creature climbing up from the other side of the lake, and running joyfully after it shook off the water droplets from itself. 

Feeling my face swell up in rage, I stood up and carefully observed the creature's moves. It seemed to race to the wall and disappear between its multiple cracks. As soon as It vanished I saw it, or maybe another one crawling up on the ceiling. Soon enough I was seeing at least five of them. Soon I saw many of these little creatures flitting through the cracks of the grotto. As I looked more closely, I saw that they had tiny and delicate wings on their backs, much like dragonfly wings. Glistening a little in the darkness, these little creatures were running and laughing merrily among themselves. They had big, insect-like eyes, and bony arms covered with something resembling snake scales.

As I stared at this alien beauty, I forgot for a moment where I was and what I was about to do. I don't know who these creatures are, whether they are dangerous, but all my thoughts began to blur, my face lit up with a smile. I went on and on watching these interesting creatures frolicking and playing among themselves like children. Watching them I forgot all my sadness, and forgot the one that hurt me. All my grief instantly disappeared, and in its place was joy, pure as crystal water from a wild spring. Yes, it was joy, like a ray of light in a cloudy weather. A joy that once felt a like mile away was standing right in front of me.

Frozen in this spectacle, I barely noticed how one of these nimble creatures began to climb up my back. Not a minute later, a second one started laughing, perched on my lap.

In that moment, as usual, my carelessness ruined me. Maybe I would have had time to react, but alas, I was only too aware when the little creatures shoved me headfirst into the still waters of the underground spring.