ch 20, final countdown

"We got this." Ripley said, smiling as the team walked to their box. "You remember the plays?"

"Of course I remember the plays, Ducky." Banks said, pushing her arm a little, "Just me and you."

"Just me and you." She nodded back.

Her team began to walk closer to the entrance of the box, as the girl took in the sight of the stands. They were filled to the brim, everyone on the edge of their seats as they waited for the game to start.

"Fasten your seat belts and hold onto your hats, everyone. Oh, do we have a special showdown for you. David versus Goliath in a titanic grudge match. The winner can truly say that he is the symbol of Eden Hall."

She smiled to herself at the announcer, always enjoying the commentary that the boy spewed during the games.

The team crowded into the box, trying to form a line, everyone antsy to enter the ice. 

"Tonight the Eden Hall varsity Warriors do battle with the Eden Hall sophomore Ducks. That's right, folks, look at those uniforms. The sign of the Duck is here at Eden Hall for at least one night."

"This is for Hans." Charlie said, looking at Fulton.

Fulton nodded in return, and that began the send off of her teammates as they entered the ice one by one.

The team nodded at the brunette as each passed by him, showing their respect to his statement.

Ripley was the last in line to enter the ice, stopping next to Charlie before she made her way out. She gave a smile to the boy, "For Hans."

He smiled widely at the girl, appreciative of her statement.

Even though she never got the chance to meet the older man, she knew how much he meant to each and every one of her friends. She would be playing for him tonight, too.

She skated onto the ice, taking in the screams of the crowd as her team began to skate in a circle.

She joined in, her and the rest painting their hands across the ground.

"It appears they're paying homage to their friend and mentor, Hans. The touch of the ice is a Norwegian symbol of respect."

The team continued to skate around in silence, until Charlie began to lead them back to the box.

His captain authority was shining through, and Ripley was so proud of how far he had come. 

They all crowded around the box, waiting to hear what Orion had to say.

"I want to let you all know how proud I am of each and every one of you. I've been able to watch you grow into some mighty fine hockey players. I want you to show the crowd what I can see, tonight." Her coach said, looking amongst the team. "Now, remember what we've been working on."

"Banks, Bell. You two are gonna be our eyes in the sky tonight, no one knows the varsity better than you. You two are gonna be targets for them, I'm sure of it, so I want everyone else to have their backs tonight." Orion continued, focusing on the pair. "I want you two the show them what they're missing out on. Do you remember your plays?"

"Yes, coach." The two players said.

"Good." Orion stated. "And you, Charlie. I wanna see that leadership inside you shine tonight, alright?"

Charlie nodded.

"Alright, let's go hunting for goose eggs, huh? Come on, hands in. On three... quack."