ch 15, bad news bears

Ripley and her team walked out of the school, gear bags thrown around their shoulders.

"Who are we playing tonight?" Ripley said, walking beside Connie and Julie.

"I'm pretty sure we're going against the Elmwood Eagles, tonight." Julie replied, "I heard they're not very good."

"The Ducks versus the Eagles." Ripley laughed, "That'll be interesting."

"We're not Ducks anymore, Rip." Connie mocked, "We're the Warriors!"

Ripley scoffed, "Yeah, I just got done being a Warrior. Rather not call myself that for a while."

The girls laughed at her and made their way onto the bus, pleased to have they're girl back.

Orion began roll call, calling off last names as the players entered the bus. "Bell. Moreau. Gaffney." 

"Mendoza. Fulton. Conway?"

The girl looked up from her seat, seeing the familiar brunette standing at the entrance of the bus. "I want to be on the team, Coach. I want to play two-way hockey. Can I come back?"

Orion smirked at the boy, "Take a seat. We're running late."

Charlie smiled and made his way onto the bus, his friends hooting and hollering as he sat next to Russ.

"Oh, man, you should have seen your face. 'Oh, Coach, I want to play two-way hockey. Can I come back?'" Russ teased Charlie, earning him a punch to the arm.

Ripley made her way over to boy, him noticing, and they engulfed each other in a hug. "It's nice to see you, Conway."

"Nice to see you too, Bell."

Ripley hadn't even had a chance to talk to the boy about rejoining, wondering what made him change his mind and return in the first place. "So, what made you come back."

"I might as well ask you the same thing." The boy smiled, "I talked to Bombay earlier today and he played a big part in my decision, but hearing of your return definitely helped make the decision easier, too."

The girl smiled at him, but their tender moment was interrupted by another voice entering the bus. "I almost missed you. Coach, you mind if I have a few words with your boys?" Buckley's, the Dean, voice rang out.

"And girls." Julie added.

"Yes, of course." He smiled, "And girls."

Orion looked annoyed, eager to leave. "If you can make it quick, Dean. We're late as it is."

"I'm afraid this is important." Buckley started, "We have a meeting scheduled tomorrow, and, well, you all are on the agenda. We have to think long-term here, what's in your best interest. Hard as it is for me personally, because you kids have been a breath of fresh air around here, the board is going to approve the withdrawal of your scholarships. Now, you'll be welcomed to stay through the end of the semester, but after that, it will be necessary for you... to enjoy other educational opportunities."

The kids all looked at him in confusion, as Orion muttered to the man and dragged him outside the bus.

"'Other opportunities'? What's he saying, Russ?" Dwayne questioned.

Russ sighed, "I'll put it in terms you can understand, 'Adios amigos'." 

"Oh, I see." Dwayne frowned.

The kids clambered against the windows, trying to listen to what the two grown men were discussing. Although they couldn't hear what they were saying, Orion looked pissed.