041. Fan-Mail

Chapter Forty-One

Frankie Marsh

Fan Mail

Frankie was far more cheerful than she had been before. Erika was organising an all-star match for Quidditch, with the two teams full of the best Quidditch players from the different houses and schools to play against one another, and that Hufflepuff kid seemed to be in hiding for the moment. Most importantly, she hadn't heard from or seen Skeeter since the last article of lies. 

Frankie should've known not to enter the Great Hall. It seemed to be, most recently, where everything went downhill for her. Breakfast was calling, however, and when Frankie entered with Theo that morning, everything seemed as normal as it had been before the Goblet of Fire fiasco. 

"Frankie, Theo!" Pansy called them over, practically jumping in her seat, "Look out for the mail. My mum is sending you a gift basket,"

"A gift basket?" Frankie echoed, looking around at her friends in confusion, "Why would she send me that?"

"She's an avid Rita Skeeter reader, I told you," Pansy grinned, watching the post owls begin to arrive, "She said the whole fiasco made her heart bleed for you,"

Frankie glanced over at Theo, who simply shrugged and returned to his breakfast. Sighing, she pinched the bridge of her nose as Pansy explained what she should expect to find in the basket. 

Frankie was pulled away from the conversation as the illumination of the sky within the great hall was covered by a flurry of owls, far more than she'd seen since the Ollivander twins had set half the field on fire. All their parents, Abuela's, Tía's and Tío's had sent in mail - half hilariously encouraging and the other half scarily concerning. Turning towards where the twins were seated, she could see the colour draining from their faces, and from Greer's hair. 

Surprisingly, the majority of owls split off into two directions. One group descended upon the Gryffindor table, and the other half from their way. In fact, they weren't just heading their way. They were heading straight for Frankie. 

Frankie's jaw fell open as they all dropped their letters, baskets and other items at her plate. This had gotten Theo's attention, who turned back to her with a sly grin as he grabbed a letter for himself. Frankie could've objected, but she knew that wouldn't do anything. Theo's successful attempt to grab an item resulted in the rest of the seagulls diving for scraps. Pansy had gotten her hands on two baskets, Draco had grabbed a letter, and Blaise had grabbed a wrapped box. 

"Holy shit, listen to this," Theo began, changing his voice slightly to mimic an old lady as he read out the letter, "Dear Francesca, you are an absolutely beautiful shining young lady who will have great success, I am sure. You do not deserve the terrible wretchedness that this Hermione Granger is giving you. As someone who has been in your position, I tell you, don't lose hope. You are the only option our Harry Potter is looking at. Us ladies will help you out. I've already sent things Miss Granger's way. Much Love,"

Frankie wasn't sure how, but her jaw had dropped even more. Turning around in her seat, she saw Hermione rushing out of the Great Hall with sores covering her hands. The other owls had gone straight to her. 

"Oh my God," Frankie stared at the pile. 

How had one woman managed to do so much damage?

"Ooo, can I use these enchanted bath soaps, Frankie?" Pansy asked, reading the note in one of the baskets, "They're so nice and expensive. I usually only get them as Christmas presents,"

 "Apparently, Pansy's mum isn't the only one whose heart is bleeding," Draco shook his head with a grin, throwing the letter down to get another. 

"This is bullshit," Frankie said bluntly, tearing up some of the letters before she'd even opened them, "What is all this?"

"You know, I never thought Frankie would be the first out of us all to get fans," Blaise said, shoving some of the contents in one of the baskets in his pocket. 

"This is ridiculous. I could've easily been in Hermione's position," Frankie shook her head, "I mean, what was to stop Skeeter from deciding she hated me and loved Hermione?"

"Consider yourself lucky, Frankie," Theo said, taking a basket for himself as he stood up to get to his next class, "You aren't exactly the nicest, most approachable person I've ever met,"

Frankie glared at him as he left. Turning back to the letters, she noticed she'd gained a group of Slytherin students who had appeared around her and her friends, grabbing some of the baskets for themselves as Pansy gave them the 'go for it' sign. Sighing frustratedly, she dropped her head onto the table. Unfortunately, there were so many letters that she could hardly feel the wood against her forehead.