He frowned at her. "You're supposed to factor the top and the bottom." Thinking that should have cleared up the issue, he closed his eyes again.

"That is what I need help on. I don't remember how to do the factoring part." Her face looked so optimistic, it was seriously annoying him.

He raised his eyebrows, "We learned that in Algebra 1 and then did it again in Algebra 2."

"I've always had a hard time in math, would you mind explaining it again? I honestly couldn't understand the teacher's lecture at all." Damn, she was persistent.

Jungkook pushed his paper over to her. "Here, just copy mine."

Madison took Jungkook's paper and looked at his work. She noticed his name written in the upper corner, which he hadn't told her earlier. "How did you get the two and three?" She pointed to his first problem.

Jungkook sighed. This was exactly why he didn't want someone sitting next to him. He was starting to see that it would probably be easier just to help her so she would leave him alone. He flipped over his paper to the blank backside and went over the basics of factoring with her. She tried a few of the problems while he was correcting and helping her. She finally did one correctly herself. He almost said 'Finally!' But all he said was, "You did that one right."

Her face positively lit up. "I did?! Wow. Thank you so much! I wouldn't have been able to do it without your help!" She went to put her hand on his arm as she thanked him but he ducked under it, stood up, and walked out of the classroom. The bell rang one second after he was out the door.

Madison thought about Jungkook as she packed up her belongings. He was incredibly good looking with his dark hair and defined jawline. She had noticed how many girls looked at him like he was a snack to be devoured. But what had caught her attention was the look he gave her when their eyes first met. There was a vulnerability to his look. He looked like a wary animal, his doe eyes seemed to be assessing whether she was safe or not. It had been so brief, Madison almost questioned whether it was really there or not. But people who have had their lives shattered at some point, recognize that same thing in others. Madison's brokenness recognized that Jungkook had a brokenness also. She was determined to befriend him.

Madison introduced herself to several students walking the same way as her in the hallway. She handed out some genuine compliments and was rewarded with several of their names. She was headed to History of Korea, a required junior year class.

Jungkook walked into History just as the bell rang. He took his seat in the row closest to the door near the back. He saw Madison talking to the teacher and couldn't help but roll his eyes again. Luckily there were several empty seats in this class, so she wouldn't have to sit by him. 

If possible, her introduction was more chipper this time, she bounced as she did her greeting. "Hello, my name is Lee Madison. I'm so excited to get to know you all! Please take care of me." She bowed and did her signature smile to everyone. She was really very pretty. Maybe she knew how good she looked when she smiled, and that's why she smiled all the time. She left the front and made her way towards her seat.

When Jungkook realized she planned to sit by him again, he looked her in the eye and said, "No." She just smiled back and sat down. Jungkook knew he was plenty intimidating and she should be moving to another available seat right now. What was wrong with her that she refused to be intimidated by him? "What the Fuck?!" He dropped his History book onto the desk.

"Mr. Jeon, that will be another detention." Mr. Lee gave Jungkook a pointed look. Mr. Lee was a kind old man. He had a bit of a round belly and he wore his glasses down on the tip of his nose. He liked the students, but he also held them accountable.

Madison rose her hand high in the air, waving it just a bit. Mr. Lee blinked at her, "Yes, Ms. Lee?"

She smiled at the teacher. "Could you please not give Jungkook a detention? I bothered him all period in math first hour and I'm sure he was thinking I would bother him again. But I don't plan to, so I'm sure it will be fine." 

Jungkook glared at her. What was she trying to do? Why did she care whether or not he got a detention? He swore out loud in class, he clearly deserved the detention. Much to his surprise he heard Mr. Lee chuckle. "Alright dear, I will not give him a detention this time. Although, I'm sure you couldn't be a bother to anyone."

Jungkook looked at Madison and frowned. Then said out loud, "Mr. Lee, I'll take the detention."

Mr. Lee was standing at his lectern now, getting ready for his lecture. He looked over his glasses and raised an eyebrow. "Don't worry Mr. Jeon, I'm sure there will be plenty of opportunities for you to earn another one." Then looking at his notes, "Alright everyone, today we are talking about the end of The Three Kingdoms of Korea, which lasted from 57 BC–668 AD. Take out your notes."

Again, Jungkook took no notes and Madison was writing frantically through the whole lecture. She had a habit of shaking her leg under the table, he hadn't noticed this during math. The last twenty minutes of class the students were asked to read a passage and answer questions from their textbook. Mr. Lee had asked them to work quietly for ten minutes so everyone had a chance to read and work on the questions. Then they could compare with their partners at the end of class. 

Jungkook finished his questions and noticed that Madison was chewing on her lip. She told Mr. Lee she wasn't going to bother Jungkook and he planned to hold her to it. To his surprise when the ten minutes was up and everyone started comparing with their partner, Madison didn't bother him. He thought it was unlikely to last. But after several minutes of listening to her sighing and watching her chew on her lip he found himself saying, "What?! What is the problem?!"

He had such a caustic tone that anyone else would have been wary to respond. But not this girl, she smiled as if he had just kindly offered help. "Oh thanks. I think I have the rest but I'm having trouble with number five."

He narrowed his eyes and shook his head. Maybe he wasn't as intimidating as he thought? He read his answer to her, "In Unified Silla, the bone clan was a small group of powerful people who ruled over a group of citizens. They kept the people in low social status so they could rule over them."

"Ohhh! Is that what it was asking about? I guess I didn't understand the question. Okay. Thanks." Again with the stupid smile.

"Why couldn't you take another seat? I like to sit alone." Jungkook looked at her face, trying to get a read on this strange girl.

She shrugged a shoulder and there was honesty in her look as she answered, "I wanted to sit by you. You're the only person I know so far." He swore there was a twinkle in her eye as she answered him. How the hell did someone get their eyes to twinkle? It was probably a side effect to all the smiling.

"If you want to meet new people, you have to sit by different people." He thought this argument might appeal to her, since she seemed to have an obsession with making friends.

She giggled a little, not in a rude way like she was laughing at him. She giggled in a way that showed she liked what he said. "I'd actually rather make friends than just meet people. I'm hoping you'll be my friend." He felt his heart flicker just a bit at her words, a feeling which he was definitely going to ignore.

He didn't understand her at all. How could she be so different than every other girl he'd ever talked to? All he could say was, "Why?"

She continued to smile and her eyes were kind as she looked at him, "I don't know. I just feel like you would be a really good friend." 

The bell rang just as she was putting her hand on his shoulder. "Damn it!" He said under his breath as he jumped up. He slung his backpack on his shoulder and fast walked out of the room. He always watched the clock. He was always just outside the door when the bell rang. She had distracted him. See? This was why he needed to sit alone so he could focus on the clock for when class was over. He definitely did not need her distracting him.