CHAPTER SIXTY-SIX

Start from the beginning

"Evident." His arms crossed. "Will he come back?"

I understood the question. "No, I don't think he will go to the centre anymore. At least, not unless I am there."

"It's a real shame, Alexa." His stare toured the side of my face. "You will be missed."

I felt over-emotional.

"Are you sure I cannot convince you to stay?"

"No," I said, short and resolute. "I have to get my priorities in check."

"Your service to the youth centre is invaluable, though."

I overstayed my welcome at Inseparable Youths. Now, I had to move on to bigger and better things. "Maybe I'll see you in the future."

His lips flattened.

With a heavy sigh, I opened the car door and stepped out of the vehicle. When I turned, basket in arms, I found his sad gaze across the hood of the car. "I am replaceable."

"No." He walked away. "You are irreplaceable."

I watched him climb into the parked Honda. Headlights beamed across the Manor's manicured lawn as he eased onto the accelerator. He braked for the guards to grant exit by the wrought iron gates, then steered onto the main road.

Of course, when I entered the property, Brad was standing by the foyer's marble sideboard. "What did he want?"

I stepped out of my heeled shoes. "To say goodbye."

He grunted. "I don't like him."

"You don't like anyone." Leaving the hamper on the stairs, I strolled to the kitchen, where the men gathered to enjoy baked goods, courtesy of Camilla's fine culinary skills. "Has anyone seen Logan?"

Nate's at the stove, frying rib-eye steak. "He's in the pool."

Swinging open the fridge door, I reached for the orange juice carton. Pouring a generous amount into a tall glass, I sipped thirstily, listening to the men arrange plans for the rest of the evening. Some will return to Club 11, while the others agreed to meet for late-night drinks at a local casino. Josh was not amongst the crowd. Instead of asking questions, I pulled out my phone and sent him a text message.

Me: Where are you?

Message delivered.

Nate placed plated steak and steamed greens in front of me, then cutlery. Thanking him under my breath, I tucked in, taking my time between mouthfuls. I knew the men would be unsatisfied if I never cleared the plate, so I persisted, alternating between tenderised meat and garlic-infused runner beans.

One by one, the men left the kitchen until I was alone with an empty plate. I loaded the dishwasher, wiped my hands in a tea towel and hunted the halls to find Tony. He was in the guest bedroom with Camilla. From the other side of the door, I heard their low voices and occasional spurts of laughter. I almost knocked, hesitated, and decided to leave them to it.

Logan's body sliced through the water. He swam lengths for what felt like hours while I sat crossed-legged on the edge of the poolside. His head breached the surface on a deep inhale. Rubbing water dews from his eyes, he waded toward me, a look of concern on his face. "You good?"

I nodded.

Grabbing the towel from my outstretched hand, he dried his face. "Liam?"

Liam is a million miles away. "I'll know more tomorrow."

His chest inflated as he panted for breath. "It sucks, right?"

I saw two-night guards walk past the panoramic windows.