The word.

The next expedition was drawing nearer and nearer. It was only a couple of weeks away now, and Levi was very obviously on edge about it. He had never seemed too bothered before, but something was different this time. He would change the subject every time somebody bought it up, and it set you even more on edge. 

Things were still tense between him and Erwin too, it just seemed like bad things were piling up for him, and it was causing him to shut down. You loved Levi, and while you still weren't ready to tell him yet, you did everything you could to show him that he wasn't alone in all of this.

The words almost fell out several times. During sex, after a kiss, mid conversation, or even just when you were sat together in silence, eating or reading. It was constantly on your mind, the word bouncing around your brain, interrupting all other thoughts. 

Since your conversation with him, Erwin had continued being overly friendly towards you, while freezing Levi out, and everybody was starting to notice. You heard people talking about it often, and you wanted to tell them to mind their own business, but that would only reveal what is truly going on between you and Levi, and you liked having this with him alone for now.

You were spending your day with your friends, giving Levi some space in the meantime. Sasha had been teaching the rest of your group how to shoot targets with her bow, and you were all surprisingly good at it, except for Connie. 

You were aiming for the target when Eren spoke up.

"So does anyone know what's going on between the Commander and Captain Levi?"

"I don't mean to pry, but I thought you might know Y/N?" Connie spoke up.

He had been surprisingly respectful of you since being called out by Mikasa, and you were grateful for it. You did kind of miss his jokes sometimes though, no matter how annoying they were.

"I honestly have no idea. Neither does Levi." you answered.

"Seriously? Even Levi doesn't know?" Jean asked.

You nodded while everyone searched your face. You proceeded to shoot the target, narrowly missing the center.

"How is Erwin with you Y/N? Do you think he may be jealous that Levi is spending time with you?" Armin asked you subtly, away from the others.

"He's fine with me. If anything he's overly nice." 

"That's very strange..." Armin pondered.

"Come on Armin, I know you. Just say what you're thinking rather than leaving me in suspense again." you spoke flatly.

"Well.. I noticed Erwin has been watching you a lot. He also brings you up in conversation often too, he asks me about you a lot."

"What? Since when?"

"Since your date with Levi specifically. He started mentioning you that evening actually."

Weird. 

"Right, so what's your theory?" 

"Maybe he likes you? He could be jealous of Levi."

You burst out laughing, no way was Erwin the type to be jealous, especially of his own best friend, over a girl.

"That's hilarious. Come on be serious." 

Armin just looked at you with a blank expression.

"Are you fucking serious?" You asked him shrilly.

"Yeah. I am." He responded with confidence.

"Why would Erwin like me? and better yet, why would he be catty with Levi over a girl?"