Eavesdropping.

You had given up on trying to get to Levi, It seemed too pointless. You had bigger things to focus on now. Days had been ticking by too fast until your next expedition.

Things had been uneventful on that front before of course, but you knew it wouldn't stay that way forever. You knew exactly what the titans were capable of, and you would have to face it again eventually. 

You went about your usual evening routine, albeit a little late. You arrived for dinner to find most people had already cleared out. You only saw two familiar faces in the room, so you took a seat with them.

Hange and Miche were clearly tense. Everyone was always tense during the days leading up to a mission and you were no exception.  The impending doom and fear of the unknown hung over you all, and as time ticked by it got heavier and heavier, almost fully consuming you.

"Where are the others?" you asked

To your surprise, Miche was the one to answer.

"Erwin is in his office, Levi wandered off somewhere."

You simply nodded.

"So what do you usually do to cope before certain death?" Miche asked.

"Just live while I can I guess"

"I'll cheers to that" Miche raised his tankard and tapped it against yours. You smiled at him.

It was good to see he was capable of normal conversation, just like any other person, and he hadn't even sniffed you once.

You both continued having small talk, Hange still seated beside you in their own little world. 

Miche was surprisingly clever and humorous, you were always so unsure about him before, but you decided now that you liked him. You hoped to become friends with him sometime soon. His quick wit soon had both you and Hange completely forgetting about tomorrow and laughing until your stomachs ached. You had tears in your eyes as you tried and failed to stop your laughter.

"I never knew you were this funny" you spoke between laughs

"You and me both sister" Hange spoke

"What gives? Why am I only learning this now big nose?" Hange prodded Miche's shoulder in joke accusation.

"Big nose? Have you seen yourself? your beak enters the room 5 minutes before the rest of you does." Miche replied, good naturedly.

At this Hange collapsed in laughter again.

Obviously Hange didn't really have a big nose, But it was good to see a higher up capable of taking a joke. It's clear Miche was doing this to lighten the mood, and you really appreciated it.

You cleared your plate and stood to leave.

"I'm going for a walk, I'm really glad I got to chat with you guys" you said gratefully.

"Hey no problem Y/N. Speak soon okay?" Miche replied.

Hange waved you off, unable to speak due to still being in a fit of laughter. You could hear this laughter even after you had left the room. 

You headed outside, spent some time with the strays, and decided to go on a nighttime walk.

You reached the large steps leading down from the entrance of HQ and spotted 3 silhouettes sat halfway down.

As you neared, you noticed it was Eren, Mikasa and Armin. You approached them.

"Hey. May I join you?" You asked.

The three of them nodded in unison and you took a seat beside them as Armin continued reading out loud about the world from the same tattered book as before.