Chapter Eighty

Sunday August 21

As soon as they returned to the Camberwell Police Station McCoy pushed Lewis to start reiterating the APB to include Mason Sampson and the confirmation that he would have a young girl with him. They knew now that he had arrived back in Australia on Wednesday and in that time he'd been to his childhood home and grabbed the picture.

He waited until she was knee deep giving instructions and wading through databases and then left her, hopped in his own car and immediately put a search in Google for lighthouses in Victoria. He held the copy of the best blown up picture of the lighthouse that had been on the Sampson wall on the steering wheel whilst the results came up.

There were twenty three. He clicked on the map and looked again at the lighthouse in the picture that Vincent had removed only in the last four days.

10 of them were open to the public so he disregarded them. Of the other 13, nine were either on remote islands or in the channel, which would all be impossible to access, or in active use.

The other four were closed and remote on the mainland.

Perfect for what he figured Vincent had planned.

As he shuffled through the information and pictures of those four, none stood out as being similar or especially relevant. Three were east of Melbourne and one west – he had to make a choice.

And Dean McCoy went with the odds as he gunned it down the Eastern Freeway, heading first towards McCrae.