Chapter Sixty One

Saturday April 9

I didn't want to speak because I knew Avery would only start crying again. But it was lucky she had been for the first twenty minutes after we hopped out of our car and wondered what to do with the body on the road, as it gave me the chance to finish what I needed to do.

As she had sobbed fitfully I had used the wrench to make sure his face wouldn't be recognised by anyone, let alone her. I knew if he was ever found there'd be questions coming my way, and probably hers, so I needed to do everything I could to try and make sure that wouldn't happen. Even though where I was taking him had virtually no chance that someone would come across him.

Just before I went to wrap him up I remembered his teeth. There was no breeze at all, no movement of air to squash the sound so I stamped my foot each time the wrench came down. I could still hear the tinkle as shards of molars bounced onto the asphalt beside me and collected together in the back of his throat which lay still and open and was already getting cold. I used my phone torch to pick up every bit that fell onto the ground beside his head, if you could still call it that – Mason had told me to be careful leaving any evidence behind.

And when I was sure that even if the blanket came off his face that Avery would be none the wiser I wrapped him tightly and called her over. Now she seemed to get it that we could either have our lives ruined or cover this up. This horrible accident, this twist of fate that would have us on the brink of survival if it were found.

And I never knew the effect it would have on her and us.

I never counted on her figuring it out.

I never counted on her wanting to go back and see my father.

I never counted on her caring that much about me.

I never counted on her bravery in wanting to front up to him again.

It's all my fault.

I needed my Mumma.

Or someone like her.