𝟐𝟓 𝐵𝑎𝑐𝑘 𝑎𝑡 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑠𝑡𝑎𝑟𝑡

Valerie Ace Monroe POV:

Driving through the buzzing traffic and large neon glowing buildings, New York city never seems to not take my breath away everytime. Yes the reek of sewage and musty damp air from underground train stations could burn the hairs off your nostrils, but the energy the city brings forth, the constant sense of awakeness and adventure in a city full of different types of food, people, and culture. New York is my first home.

I definitely will show the Ghosts a grand tour of the city, Allen with me of course. But for now, I point out the coffee shops on every corner, the empire state building, and time square as we drive by to the girls in the same car as me out of the 3.

Some of Ezra's Shadow hunters, Jack and Thomas who've helped me on missions and training before, talked to the girls rather than ignoring them. Definitely progress and better than the others who out right looked the other way, not eager to have new members join, though that will very quickly be taken care of- either by words or my fist.

Soon the skyscrapers and dozens of yellow cabs turn into grassy forests and none crowded roads as we near the Shadow Hunter Compound.

The place looks the same as before, the large pane windows still clear, the white concrete walls still strong and well accented with the black trim around the doors and windows.

The three SUVs half circle around the fountain in the middle of the driveway before coming to a stop, everyone exiting out of the vehicle. Some guards stretching after the long ride.

Striding over to each car I gather the Ghosts, all twenty of them before waving to Matteo to lead the way, not wanting to utter a word to him if he helped his Shadow King. However before he can so much as take a step a broken sob goes through the air, followed by rushed footsteps.

I whip my head to my left, quick enough to see tears running down Allens soft freckled brown skin before her body slams into mine, almost knocking me down.

I don't hesitate to wrap my own arms around her as I too feel tears leave my eyes, a half cry half chuckle escaping my lips. Everyone stops to look at the two of us tightly embracing each other, neither of us caring as she takes a step back and looks at me from head to toe as if making sure I'm actually here in one piece. After I do the same to her I give her a soft smile I tell her, "I did it."

Her lips stretch into a proud smile, "I'm surprised you aren't caring his head by the scalp in your hand right now."

"No, but I do have his heart, and will be hanging it on our wall of course."

She chuckles, "of course."

I slug a arm over her shoulder and lead her towards the twenty women waiting for me by the compounds front door stairs, "there some people I want you to meet."

The Ghosts faces are blank and unmoving from years of training as Allen and I walk over.

I nod my chin over to the girl at the far left, her youthful peach skinned face and wise brown eyes compliments her silk auburn hair and freckles, "that's Cora," the twenty year old dips her chin in hello, all the recognition we get that she heard us before I move over to the twins, their blue jet black hair both dutch braided down their snow pale back. Their dark green eyes are already assessing everyone's movements. "Caterina and Cecilia." Though they're only four inches over five foot and nineteen, they have a spine chilling stare.

"Novalee and Arie," the former lifts a gold hand in a wave half salut motion, her dark brown eyes and hair like brownie batter as the latter just keeps her face blank, eyes aged with years of being in Ghost Hill but her tanned skin is still flawless as ever.