One

There's no such thing as time.

It's a concept, at best. Every moment was exactly the same as the next. They came and went, just like the seasons.

Life was a lot like time, in some ways.

You knew it always came to and end, and were familiar with its parting. But sometimes losing people did more that just cause a little grief.

The rain fell heavy on your shoulders, but you didn't care. In fact, you didn't feel it at all. Your coat was soaked and hair matted, but you continued to stand, unmoving, in wait. The bus stop was empty, but you didn't mind. Silence was something you'd become accustomed too, something you cherished. A lifetime spent mostly alone, this was nothing new to you.

But even then you could admit that this time....

This time it hurt a lot worse.

"What's got you looking all mopey?"

Your eyes flecked up to eye the man, but that thought was quickly put out of your mind. It was not a man, at least, not entirely. He was absolutely massive, over six feet tall and nearing seven. His chest was three times the width of yours and his face, chiseled like the rest of him. His eyes were a striking amber that pierced your heart and above that was waft of insane red hair. A pair of dark horns poked out, curling around his skull like a demented halo.

All in all, you blinked at him, then turned to walk away.

"Hey, I'm talking to you! Don't just walk away!"

"I'm sorry, I need to go home."

"Stop!" His large hand grasped your shoulder, and that was enough to stall your feet. If he could touch you, he was real. That wasn't good. He spun you around with little to no effort, holding you in place so you didn't run off again. "I didn't come all this way for you to fucking ignore me!"

"I don't have anything of value." You replied, stoically and without much volume. He didn't scare you, despite his size and strength, and he noticed. "Please let me go home."

"Your soul is toiling with all kinds of fucked up shit." He frowned, looking down on you with half a snarl. You didn't really think much of that, craning your neck upwards to look him in the eyes. He was unaffected by the rain, but you weren't. You quickly shielded your eyes from the aerial assault so you could keep looking up at him. "Give it to me."

"You want my soul?" Your head tilted even more, looking at him with confusion. So, he was a demon then. That made things both worse and better. You placed a hand over your chest, and for a moment, let that sink in. The gap was still there, the rapacious hole in your chest that had only grown larger as you continued to lose friends and family. "I don't have a soul to give."

"You do. I can smell it." He frowned, glare intensifying. If this was some weird way you was trying to get out of his company, it wasn't going to work. "Everyone has a soul."

"No, I'm sure mine is gone." You were firm in this idea. You gave the hulking demon man a petite frown. "Can I please go home? I'm getting cold."

He seemed to take notice of your situation, clothes soaked to the bone and eyes sunken, tired.

"You look like shit." He spoke out loud, his glower intensifying. You only shrugged, knowing it was true. He leaned down, sniffing the top of your head. His painted lips turned even further down. "You smell weird."

"Yeah, I need to shower."

Your comment made him growl, a deep sound that resonated in his chest.