How to Name Your Cat: Part 2

"This is Tybolt," Magnus said, making sure to pronounce the "TIB-buhlt."

Magnus dropped the grey cat onto the center of the dining room table.

It immediately curled into a ball in the Brooklyn sun, falling asleep.

"'Good King of Cats,'" Clary said, with a smile. "That must have been Alec's idea; quoting Shakespeare and all."

"Absolutely," Magnus said. She looked over at Jace and her smile widened.

The elevator doors dinged open and Isabelle and Simon came in.

"Good afternoon," Simon said, walking with a merry step.

"Simon! How delightful to see you!" Magnus said.

"Might I say the same to you too, good sir?" Simon said, flourishing a fake top hat as he bowed.

Isabelle hit his arm as they ascended the stairs into the dining room.

"Where's Alec?" Isabelle asked.

"Running late," Jace said. "I'd say as usually, but he's not usually late."

"How mysterious," Magnus pondered.

As if on cue, the elevator doors slid open again.

"Take out from The Star," Alec announced as he shuffled in with two large bags, "as well as this week's cover story of Vogue magazine."

Alec set the bags on the table and handed Magnus the glossy magazine.

A very professional and suave picture of Magnus was plastered on the front.

"Who'd you kill to get this?" Magnus asked.

"I— What?" Alec said, not even attempting to cover up his guilt.

"Seriously. This doesn't come out until tomorrow."

"I threatened Olivia," Alec admitted.

"With what?" Jace asked. Everyone was already rifling through the takeout bags, grabbing what they could before Magnus got to them.

"Plagiarism scandal, senior year," Alec said.

"Oh, that was good," Isabelle said. "She stole Yvonne Cartwright's story. Somehow, she covered it all up and made it disappear but it was still pretty sketch."

"Thank you," Magnus said, looking at Alexander. Alec's eyes danced down to his feet. "I'll read it later."

Lunch continued as planned and as if Vogue or Olivia Perdue ever existed.

...........

Magnus Bane is more extraordinary than most people ever aspire to be.

Upon meeting Bane for the first time, I was immediately taken aback by his bold rashness and his daringness to take on a company that could forever ruin his name.

Not many people jump in front of danger. He is, however, one of those people.

I spent an evening interviewing Magnus Bane and learned almost nothing.

He's not a talker because he's humble underneath a layer of glitz, glam, and fashion.

He won't tell you about his alcoholic father, the man he saved on the roof of the Abrahm and Sons building, or even a simple description of his apartment.

He's private and proud of it.

This story was suppose to be an expose, revealing the true underbelly of Wall Street's tricks, schemes, and scams, which all seem to stem from the greedy CEO at the top of the food chain. It is true that Magnus Bane fired 538 people in a day, and in that same day cut the wages of the rest of his staff by 15%. It is also true that he invested in Abrahm and Sons to save it. But he's quick to quote School House Rock's "Buy Low, Sell High" motto when accused of insider trading.

I, like Bane's rivals, wanted dirt.

But no dirt can be found on his stiffly starched suits, whatever colour they may be.

So now, I tell you about Magnus Bane, not using his own quotes, but using the quotes of those who know him better than he knows himself.

His father can be found on a barstool at the same nondescript bar everyday from 10 until close.

I asked about Magnus and he replied gruffly with "yeah, that's my son."

He seemed unaware of his son's accomplishments, even as he stared up at CNN News. It would been impossible not to have heard about Magnus.

Magnus' mother died young.

We grow from our roots.

Magnus' roots were this cold man who seemed completely disinterested in success.

The years after high school saw him through college, obtaining a simple bachelor's in business.

Within a year of graduation, he would be a millionaire and the pinnacle of financial success.

His investing continued, leading him to the point where he is now.

While his backstory is boring, Magnus is not a boring man.

He's sarcastic to the point of being rude.

His clothing choice is almost unmatched by his fellow CEOs.

But most of all, he's dedicated to something other than numbers.

He's dedicated to his company and his employees.

He's dedicated to what he loves.

And there is someone in his life that he is dedicated to.

But that story is yet to come.

Magnus tossed the magazine onto the floor.

"Rubbish," he muttered. He reached over Alec to turn off the lamp.

The room plunged into a pleasant darkness.