How to Save a Life

Alec: Are you coming home tonight?

Magnus: The heads of the departments just sent me their decisions. It was split down the middle. We're laying off about 500...

Alec: I'm sorry.

Magnus: So no...

Alec: Do you need company?

Magnus: Not tonight.

Magnus sat staring at a computer screen as numerous replies to his emails throughout the night flooded the inbox.

Most people were mad.

They had every right to be.

But everyone had known it was coming.

Pink slips had been handed out that morning. With them, Magnus made sure they got an extra month's worth of wages and a promise of a good reference letter.

Some departments had chosen to cut their wages by 15% just because they needed all the staff they had.

He wished that everyone had done that.

He sat back in his chair. It was getting dark out. All he wanted to do was sleep.

The phone rang.

He pressed the speakerphone button, too lazy to pick it up.

"Yes, Miss Fray?"

"Security is on line 1. It's an emergency."

An emergency was exactly what he didn't need.

He punch the 1 button, connecting him to Gerald, the head of security.

"Yes?" Magnus asked.

"Sir, there's someone from the mailroom, standing on the roof."

Magnus knew where it was going.

"He's threatening to jump. We've notified the police—"

"I'll be there at once. Get your men off the roof."

"Sir—"

"Damn it, Gerald. Let me do this," Magnus said. He hung up. He jumped to his feet and grabbed his coat off the coat-rack near the door.

"Clary," he said, as he opened the door. "Call Alexander. Make sure he knows everything is fine."

"Sir—"

"Then make sure Gerald knows to tell the police to keep the media away as best as they can. This doesn't need to be a publicity stunt," Magnus said. He put on his coat as he hurried towards the elevators.

He ignored Clary's shouts and got inside the elevator and rode it the single story to the roof.

There was a man standing guard by the exit of the elevator.

"Keep people away," Magnus ordered. The man nodded his head.

Magnus could see the outline of the man standing on the ledge nearby.

Magnus walked rather loudly, just to make his presence known.

His mind was thinking at a thousand miles an hour but he couldn't help but feel incredibly guilty.

He sat on the ledge, his feet dangling over the edge.

In that second, he developed a terrible fear of heights.

"Good evening," Magnus said. He didn't look up at the man.

"What do you want?" His voice was loaded with tears.