How to Fix a Problem

There are so many negative emotions that it's hard to pinpoint just one when you're feeling "sad."

Mournful.

Discontented.

Heartbroken.

Joyless.

Bitter.

Magnus couldn't settle on just one.

There were an infinite number of horrible words running through his head, each one accompanying a string of horrible thoughts.

The night had happened to fast.

Magnus had spent an hour knocking on Alec's door, demanding answers, pleading for something.

Eventually, he was too tired to continue.

When he woke up, Alec was gone.

The house was silent.

It made Magnus sick.

There was no coffee.

No loving note.

No life.

The curtains were shut.

The piano cover was closed.

Magnus spent the next two days on the couch, curled up in a blanket, watching whatever could distract him from Alec.

In the end, nothing could.

He was shattered into two pieces and Alec unknowingly held the second piece.

Sunday night, the elevator doors opened.

Magnus was beyond ecstatic until he saw Isabelle.

She immediatley turned on the lights, blinding Magnus.

"You look like hell," she said. "And this place looks even worse."

"Screw you," Magnus said.

"I'm sure you'd like to," she said.

Magnus rolled his eyes.

"Why are you here?"

"I'm here to get the rest of his stuff."

Magnus mentally thanked her for not saying his name.

"Fine," Magnus said.

But Isabelle didn't move.

"You know, I was wrong about you," she said. "I don't usually admit that."

"Well, thank you for opening up to me," Magnus snapped. "Now, you're interrupted my self-pity so hurry up please."

"I honestly don't know what happened," Isabelle said. "He won't talk about it. But I know you love my brother. So please, Magnus, please—"

He looked at her only because he could almost feel the pain in her voice.

"Do whatever the hell it takes to get my brother back here. Chicago? That's a million miles away and he's going to get shot—"

Magnus let out a tear-stained laugh.

"Magnus, I'm so serious," Isabelle said. "You have to stop him from taking this job."

"He wants to go," Magnus said.

"No, he doesn't," Isabelle said. "He's confused and probably hurt. I don't know what you did but please, bring my brother back and tell him you love him."

"Your parents—"

"I don't care," Isabelle said. "I love him and you do too. Why should anyone gain the right to hate you guys just because you're in love? And if my parents can't accept that— well, that's their problem, Magnus. Please don't give up on Alec. You're the best thing for him."