How to Forget

It was Saturday morning that Alec woke up to an unfamiliar sunlight in his face.

He wasn't sure if it was the light that woke him or the fact that it was nearly ten in the morning.

The bed wasn't his; it was Magnus'.

And he was gone.

Alec was alone in the big bed that felt too lonely to be real.

Where was Magnus?

Alec didn't specifically remember falling asleep in Magnus' room. The rest of the night was a blur of tears and quiet, soothing words.

Alec rolled away from the light.

The door to the bathroom attached to the bathroom opened and Magnus came out, dressed in his typical weekend attire.

"Morning," Alec said, carefully.

"Good morning," Magnus said. He sounded like a only-slightly-less cheerful version of himself. He put on a good smile.

"Are you going in today?" Alec asked.

"No," Magnus said. "I called the guy beneath me. He understood."

"And how are you?"

"I'm dealing," Magnus said. "I just can't go into—"

"I know," Alec said, nodding his head against the pillow. "Was there something you wanted to do today?"

"I want to get my mind off of it," Magnus said.

"Well, I forgot to tell you," Alec said, "but it's my sister's birthday tonight. You and I were invited to my parent's house for dinner."

"Sounds like pressure," Magnus said.

"No pressure," Alec said.

"Okay," Magnus said. "I'll go. But I've got some errands to run."

"Do you want company?" Alec asked.

Magnus smiled kindly but shook his head.

"Are you going to get out of my bed?" Magnus asked, teasingly.

"Probably not," Alec said. "It's nicer than mine."

"You're welcome anytime," Magnus said. He turned his back on Alexander and started heading towards the door but turned back. "Did you get your sister a gift?"

"No," Alec said.

"I've got it," Magnus said.

He left the door wide open.

.......

Magnus pushed open the door to the bar.

He wasn't accustomed to the smell of cigarette smoke and rancid alcohol.

But he still knew the place well.

He hopped up onto the barstool next to his father.

Cornelius Bane didn't look away from the television screen.

The bartender came over, gave Magnus a funny look, before accepting Magnus' order of a scotch.

When the news report finally went to commercial break, Cornelius glanced over at Magnus, turning on his barstool.

He was surprisingly thin for someone who sat on a barstool all day.

"Magnus," Cornelius said, with only minor disgust.

"Hello, Father," Magnus said. His drink was slid down the length of the bar. Magnus caught it with ease and tossed most of it back in one swallow that burned fiery-sweet.