How to Have a Birthday Party

Family was an odd concept that Magnus knew he wasn't quite ready for.

The Lightwood family moved around the house with ease and comfort, greeting one another like it had been too long since they had all seen each other.

Magnus saw just saw chaos.

He knew Alec would have been more at ease, if he wasn't there. But it was too late to go back now.

He just mimicked everything Alec did and put on his best smile.

Maryse was cooking in the kitchen.

She seemed happier than she had been at Magnus' apartment just a couple of weeks ago.

She seemed more genuine.

"Magnus, it's so good to see you again," she said as she flew around the room, stirring soups, checking meats, and pulling things out of the fridge.

"It's nice to see you too," Magnus said.

Simon and Isabelle entered the kitchen.

Simon did look like a geek. An awkward, hopeless geek.

Maryse was a little less warm to him not that he would have noticed.

Just a few minutes later, Magnus felt much less awkward as the four of them conversed like they had known each other for years.

Simon was smarter than he looked and Isabelle was obviously in love with him.

He was able to show his love while Magnus and Alec were still just friends to the family.

"I'm going to give Magnus a tour," Alec said decidedly.

Magnus followed him through a maze of rooms.

The house was three stories. The first was obviously their hosting space. The second level was more like a living room with family pictures and less perfect. The master bedroom was also on the second floor. The third floor was one long hallway with four bedrooms. The last one was Alec's room and Alec didn't hesitate to pull Magnus inside.

Magnus felt himself be pushed against the door and Alec's lips against his.

"You're amazing," Alec whispered after only a few seconds.

Then the lights came on, momentarily blinding Magnus.

"This is my room," Alec said, gesturing to the tiny room. One wall met with the slanted roof, making it feel even smaller.

Magnus' heart and mind were still on the kiss.

He focused on the room. There was a tiny twin sized bed and a desk beneath the window. The room obviously hadn't been touched with the exception of the occassional dusting.

Soccer trophies sat on a tiny shelf.

The walls were painted a deep blue with white trim.

"This is where you grew up," Magnus realized, walking in a tiny circle around the perimeter of the room.

Alec opened the closet doors which squeaked.

Clothes still hung on the racks and unfolded shirts were still pouring out of the dresser drawer.

"My bedroom was a lot messier," Magnus said.

"You didn't see it in it's prime," Alec said, shutting the doors.

Magnus stepped up to Alec, kissing him again, finishing what Alec had started.

"I like your family," Magnus said.