How to go on a Successful First Date

The Star was an underground place, not too different from Taki's Cafe.

It was quiet, especially at dinnertime since it was known for it's breakfast. Like most of the restaurants in the area, it had a modern front with a vintage inside. The tables were covered in cheap tablecloths and topped with fake flowers resting in the stagnant water of the vases.

It had been years since Magnus had been in a place like this.

Alec was waiting at the front door when Magnus showed up a minute late.

"You're late," Alec pointed out.

"Who isn't late for a first date?" Magnus said. He winked at Alec as the hostess showed them to a table.

"Hi, I'm Magnus Bane," Magnus said, introducing himself.

Alec held back a laugh.

"I'm sorry," he said. "Alexander Lightwood."

"I do so love that name," Magnus said.

"Thank you," Alec said.

"Anyways, tell me about yourself—"

Magnus was cut off by the waitress who took their drink orders and left them with menus.

Their conversations were put on hold until the waitress returned with their drinks, Magnus asked for the specials, then choose the exact opposite of what the waitress had offered him.

"So, again," Magnus said, "tell me about yourself."

"I'm going to need something a little more specific than that," Alec said.

"Fine," Magnus said. "How old are you?"

"22."

"Family?"

"Parents. They're— interesting, for a lack of a better word. And a sister. And a brother."

"Siblings are exciting," Magnus said.

"Isabelle's a fashion major at NYU and she's also a rock climber," Alec said. "And Max is a senior in high school. He's waiting on his acceptance letter from NYU."

"So did you go to NYU as well?"

"Yes," Alec said. "English major."

"So what did you do with that English major?" Magnus asked, a grin spreading across his face.

"I am a barista at a coffee shop in Manhattan," Alec said. "But I think I'm going to try to get certified as a teacher."

"Teacher? You must be patient," Magnus said.

Alec started laughing again.

"I suppose you could say that," Alec said. "What about you?"

"Alright. I'll try to answer my own questions," Magnus said. "I'm 26. I got my degree in business from SUNY Binghampton. Then I messed around with investing for awhile." Alec scoffed at that. "And now I'm the new CEO at Abrahm and Son's."

"What's that?" Alec asked.

"Investing firm," Magnus said.

"Is that interesting?"

"I suppose you could say that," Magnus said, mocking Alec. "And then as for family, I've got a deadbeat dad and absent mother."

"That's morbid."

"Life is morbid, Alexander," Magnus said. "That's why it falls on the shoulders of us to bring a little light into the world."

"Do you feel the need to bring light into the world?" Alec asked.

"I feel the need to support those who do," Magnus said.

"That's something," Alec said.

"I also really like metaphors," Magnus said, smiling.

Dinner arrived quickly.

"I see why you brought me here," Magnus said, taking another bite of steak.

"Just because it costs more than most people's monthly budget, doesn't mean it necessarily tastes better," Alec said.

"Ah!"

"You know it's true," Alec said, pointing a fork at Magnus.

They shared a dessert, split the bill, and made it to the front door before Magnus broke his character.

"Now what?" he asked.

"Now you can walk me home," Alec said.

"Well, I'm certainly not walking back," Magnus said. He whistled and a cab pulled up immediately. He turned back to Alec. "Honestly, that's never worked before."

"Let's just go," Alec said, trying to hold back a smile. They got inside, continuing with their small talk all the way back.

Alec described his days at NYU and Magnus talked about the first date he ever went on.

"It was this girl—-now I say girl because that's what the doctors said she was. But she looked much more like a troll. I hate to be mean but this girl was just incredibly tall and incredibly muscular. She was terrifying. Like the girl-at-the-back-of-the-bus-who-kills-bunnies-for-fun terrifying. Anyways, she told me to ask her out and I was a little freshman and here was this scary sophomore telling me what to do so I asked her on a date. We went to this ice cream shop and—"

Alec was already laughing too hard.

"Stop laughing," Magnus protested.

"What would she say if she saw you now?" Alec asked.

"No, no, that's the thing," Magnus said. "It's more like, what would I say if I saw her. She went on to be the only girl to ever play Division 3 football. I didn't even know that was possible. But there were rumors that she would even sign onto the NFL as a back-up player. Then apparently after college she turned herself around and the last time I heard about her, she was apparently and I quote 'incredibly hot.'"

"That's crazy," Alec said.

"Isn't it?" Magnus sighed.

The elevator ride was the quietest part of the whole evening, mostly because they were both exhausted. Their feet trudged across the living room floor until they were outside of the door to Alec's room.

"Don't wait three days to call me, okay?" Magnus said.

Alec nodded, his hand reaching for the doornob.

Magnus stopped Alec's hand with his and in Alec's moment of shock and vulnerability, he kissed him. A proper first kiss, where neither of them jumped away, denying it was happening.

This was their do-over.

Magnus' hand slipped into Alec's, as the kiss lingered.

Finally, the smile stretching across both their faces was too much. Magnus' forehead fell against Alec's.

"I wouldn't dare wait that long," Alec said.

Magnus took in every aspect of the moment.

The smell of Alec's cologne, the softness of his hands, the feel of Alec's forehead against his own.

Then, in a second that came too fast, Alec was gone, and Magnus was staring at a wall, with more questions about himself than about charming Alexander Lightwood.