How to Welcome a Friend

The elevator was a good place to think. With the exception of the steady dings which helped one keep track of time's progress, it was generally silent, even if you were riding with someone.

It was a part of your day that you took for granted. When recounting your day, you didn't usually talk about the elevator ride like you talked about your day at work.

It was a time generally wasted by the human race.

Magnus took his elevator time to people-watch. The other residents in his building were curious people with the quirky mannerisms of America's rich and elite. Their stiff posture was one thing Magnus often mimicked as he stood behind them in the elevator.

It was just him and Alec in the elevator as they arrived back from dinner, however.

It was hard to think or watch Alec because:

1) He was standing right beside Magnus.

2) Alec's phone kept buzzing in his pocket.

"Who's texting you?" Magnus asked, as simply as he could.

"Probably just Jace," Alec said. It took him a second to remember that he and Magnus barely knew each other. "My best friend."

"Oh?"

"Yeah. He's probably just being obnoxious," Alec said. "He's generally obnoxious. You'd like him."

Magnus made an offended noise as Alec smiled at his own joke.

The doors started to slid open.

"Well, invite him over," Magnus said.

"That'd be imposing," Alec said.

"I swear," Magnus said, "if I have to tell you one more time—"

"Fine," Alec said, quickly.

"Well, good night then," Magnus said as he descended into the living room.

Alec stood on the top step, surveying the state of the apartment as Magnus disappeared down the hallway.

.......

"Don't be rude," Alec said. Magnus was laying lazily across the couch, flipping through TV channels.

"National Treasure 2 is on AMC," Magnus observed.

The buzzer echoed throughout the apartment.

"And I apologize in advance for Jace," Alec said as he held down the unlock button.

"You really should verify who's at the door," Magnus said. "That could be a murderer."

Alec mumbled a comment as he stood waiting by the elevator doors.

"National Treasure 2 or Night at the Museum 2?" Magnus asked.

"You know I don't care," Alec said.

"That's why I like you," Magnus said. "Neither it is."

The TV flickered before powering off. Magnus rolled off the couch and onto his feet. He stood up, adjusting his coat.

There was a distant ding of the elevator arriving. The doors didn't open though.

"He doesn't have the key," Magnus said. "You need to press the red button to unlock the elevator doors."

Alec pressed the button until the doors slid open.

"I thought I was trapped," Jace said. The blonde boy leaned against the wall of the elevator.

"Did you panic?" Alec asked.