How to Properly Invest

Some people don't realize the cost of some musical instruments.

Mostly because they don't realize the work put into crafting each one.

Quality violins aren't made in China.

The best pianos aren't made in sweat shops.

They take weeks to craft.

Even then they're not perfect.

Three weeks after Alec's arrival at the apartment, he arrived home from the afternoon shift to find a shining Steinway piano in the middle of the living room, glittering with the reflection of Brooklyn. The couch, coffee table, and whatever else had once sat in the sunken room had been shoved up against the wall or thrown carelessly into the dining room or kitchen.

"What's this?" Alec asked. As if on cue, he heard a thunder of feet running out of the hallway, landing with a thud as they jumped over the stairs, landing just feet from the piano bench.

"Steinway," Magnus said. "Best money can buy."

"I know that," Alec said. "But why?"

"It is a gift," Magnus said.

"This isn't a gift," Alec said. "This is a down payment on a house."

"Fine," Magnus said. "So it cost me a little but I didn't pay full price."

Alec walked down the steps and placed a gentle hand on the ebony.

"What did you do?" Alec asked.

"A friend of a friend's acquaintance lost a ton of money in a divorce settlement, but he didn't lose his piano," Magnus said. "I offered to buy it off him and do you know what he did with the money when he accepted my offer?"

"Down payment on a house—"

"Down payment on a house!" Magnus shouted, jumping up. "I've always wanted a grand piano."

"So you can play?" Alec asked.

"No!" Magnus yelled with the same enthusiasm. "But I always wanted one and this— this is— beautiful."

"At least you appreciate it," Alec sighed.

"Of course I do," Magnus said. "Besides, it's not for me; it's for you."

"What do you mean?" Alec asked.

"You told me like a week ago that you played piano," Magnus said. "And now—" He gestured grandly, "—piano!"

"This is too much," Alec said.

"Never too much," Magnus said. "However, there is a cost to you."

"I probably can't afford it."

"No cost to you," Magnus said. He lifted up the lid gently, revealing the sparkling pearly white keys. "Just one song."

"I feel like I'm selling my soul to you," Alec said. A smile teased at the corner of his lips as he walked over to the keys.

He sat down on the bench and Magnus slid up beside him. Alec glanced over at Magnus quickly before placing his fingers on the keys.

"It's been awhile—"

"Don't make excuses," Magnus snapped. "Just play."

Alec took a few deep breaths before starting to play a song he knew from some distant piano lesson.

It started off dark but picked up to a lighter tone only a minute in with octaves.

Alec's fingers stretched and moved in ways Magnus didn't think was possible for anyone.

There was a grace about the way he played the keys; as if they could break off at any second.

Of course, they couldn't.

It was too brief.

The music stopped far too suddenly.

"What was that called?" Magnus asked.

"Chord Left," Alec said, his mind absent.

"It was beautiful," Magnus said. Alec smiled briefly again.

"You should smile more often," Magnus said.

"Jeez, Magnus," Alec said, "your flirting attempts are so not discreet."

"A time comes when discretion is not advised," Magnus philosophized.

"And when is that?" Alec asked, looking at Magnus with a daring look.

"It varies," Magnus said.

"If you could invest in anything," Alec said, playing an A chord, "what would it be?"

"Are we speaking about money or—"

"Anything," Alec said. "Money, time—"

"You," Magnus said.

"And how much would you invest?" Alec asked.

"All of it," Magnus said. "Every last bit."

"That's quite a lot for someone you just met," Alec said, softly.

"That's why they call it an investment," Magnus said. "It's supposed to have some element of risk."

"One question," Alec said. The space between them had become a minefield; rigged to explode at any second given the right amount of pressure. "Why me?"

"Oh, why not?" Magnus asked.

It exploded and Magnus closed the space between them with a kiss and his hand in Alec's untamed hair.

A/N: The song is Chord Left by Agnes Obel who is not only a beautiful pianist but an amazing vocalist too. I have more music fics so check them out on my profile if you like Musical!Alec.