How to Fix a Problem

Start from the beginning

Magnus started crying a whole new stream of tears.

He would get Alec back.

.........

Alec had the hardest time falling asleep.

Where was Magnus?

What was he doing?

What was he thinking about?

A week ago, he could have answer those questions with a text, or by walking into the next room.

That was the thought that killed him.

Time meant nothing now.

Distance was everything.

But he managed sleep.

It was a dreamless sleep, and for that he was thankful.

He was woke up from the scream of a fire alarm that he had thought was his own for a second.

He scrambled out of bed, jumping into the pants that he had thrown onto the floor of his hotel room late last night.

A white t-shirt would have to do.

He undid the chain lock with one hand and clicked his belt into place with the other.

When he opened the door, dozens of cats were running through the hallway. Other guests were watching from their own rooms, most of them less dressed than Alec.

Granted, the hotel wasn't five stars, but Alec hadn't expected cats.

Other guests grumbled and complained, one by one, slamming their door shuts before the felines could enter.

Alec continued watching.

The stream of cats continued, as if they were running in circles around the floor.

One cat slowed, coming up alongside Alec, purring as he rubbed against Alec's leg.

Something was attached to the cat's collar. He glanced at the other cats. They all had the same small white piece of paper tied onto them.

Alec gently took the tag off.

He expected some sort of group symbol, claiming responsibility for it all.

Alexander,

Pick one?

~MB

Alec stumbled a little.

When he looked up, Magnus stood there, looking more hopeless than he did.

And that was very promising.

"Magnus, how did you get so many cats?"

"That's your question?" Magnus laughed. But he sounded sad.

"There's a lot of cats," Alec said.

"Yeah," Magnus said, nodding his head. He was holding his breath. Alec could hear that too.

"Where did you get all of these cats?" Alec asked.

"I kidnapped them," Magnus said. "From the city shelters."

"That's illegal," Alec said.

"I don't think anyone will complain," Magnus said.

"I can't pick one," Alec said, quietly. "There's too many."

"That one likes you," Magnus said, pointing to the cat still at Alec's feet.

Both of their voices shook when they spoke.

"Alexander, you have to come back to New York," Magnus said. "I'm begging you. I'm absolutely nothing without you. I can recite the Stair-Climbing/Elliptical/Treadmill-in-One infomercial but that's about it right now. I can't eat. I can't sleep. I can't think and I smell like catnip. Please."

"You said you didn't want Olivia—"

"Alec, I didn't want your parents finding out you were gay in some tabloid," Magnus said. "That's what I meant."

Alec was silent for a second as he processed it all.

"I took the job, Magnus," he whispered.

"I can fix that," Magnus promised. "I can find you an editing job in New York. I would have done it months ago if you had just asked— Jeez, even if I thought you wanted something like that. Please, I'll do anything I just need you."

Alec shook his head.

"I'm so sorry," Alec whispered. He fell against the door frame, sliding down it as his hand covered his mouth.

It still wasn't enough to mask the shaky sobs.

"Oh, Alexander," Magnus said, rushing to his side. He wrapped his arms around Alec.

Seeing Alec cry was too much.

Then they were both crying.

The few hotel patrons who had watched the scene unfold only found themselves more confused on how 538 cats had found their way into the hotel.