Chapter Twenty-Seven

I DIDN'T GET TO STAY IN ALEKSANDER'S CHAMBERS LONG AFTER THAT, maybe an hour at the most because he had an official meeting shortly after. I didn't get to ask all the questions I had originally wanted to ask, but that was because we both had gotten to occupied by the topic of Baghra and his relationship. 

It didn't really matter at this point though; I had at least gotten to understand their relationship better. But I felt bad for Aleksander, It was hard for him enough already, but he was trying. I wish— in some small part of me that — she would still treat him as a son; but I guess it wasn't my place to go ranting to her about that. I wouldn't do that.

If they wanted to mend their relationship, it would have been done a long time ago. All I could do now was hope for the better to come eventually, but even then, would things get better for them? I had my doubts, but I wasn't about to say them out loud.

I spent a lot of that afternoon reading in the library for my next lesson on Grisha Mythology and ancient text and histories about the saints and Sankt Ilya. I had learnt a lot about him over the past couple of chapters I've read in the text that was labeled 'the istorii Sankt' ya' which in Ravkan meant 'the lives of the saints' it was said to be an children's book long ago, now most people looked at it as if it was their bible.

I learned specifically that Sankt Ilya was obsessed with creating Amplifiers like the stag. But what had caught my attention most when reading the text was the mention of their being only two stags in this world with the same power. But of which was more interesting was the fact that only one of them could belong to someone who had the ability to summon light, I knew that the text was referring to me, but the text never referred to a one kind Grisha with two types of powers.

I flipped the page to the next section of the text and was met with a drawn picture of the 'great white stag' antlers as long as ever with big brown doe eyes and white as a cloud could ever be fur. I'd forgotten about the vision I'd seen only weeks ago after making contact with drawn pictures of the stag. I remember being able to reach out to its snout and feeling such raw power surge through my veins until it had exploded into the air around us, creating an arch— and then those sudden bursts of shouts of trackers and gun fire.

I remember lying to Aleksander about not remembering all the details to my vision. I don't know why I'd hid it from him, but a part of me felt relief for hiding it; and I wondered why. But I didn't let that feeling sink in long enough to start questioning my antics.

The drawing on the other hand that now lied before me in the text was far more advanced, the descriptions of it was far more detailed and less understating to me. Which made me also wonder if this kind of information was meant for someone who had a better understanding of this type of theory. 

I sighed, flipping the page again after skimming over the words, the next picture was of a woman with hair as white as snow and a black dress that was darker than even the Darkling's color, and a collar wrapped around her neck. At the bottom of the page in black ink labeled 'Sankta'. The name of the female had been scratched out which added to my curiosity.

Why would someone scratch the name of the woman out? There had to be some kind of coincidence unless before my arrival someone else was reading this. But even then, the Grisha here were on constant duty, besides the training. What was there to hide? If they intended to do that why not take the entire page out but leave the picture? My mind was blazing with questions that most likely would never have answers to but wasn't it worth the while to think about?

I stayed in the library longer than I initially intended to, but I'd tried and failed to find answers to my questions. There was little information found about the woman in the drawing that I found. It was like pages had been ripped out of the text, and it made little sense.