Chapter One

IT WAS THE WEEK THE BLACK GENERAL WAS to arrive at the camp base of the first army and second army, the week I had only arrived back from Tsemna with my Regiment. I was exhausted of course as I slowly attempted to make my way back to my tent that had been rudely moved all the way down to where the Grisha where currently staying and training. But I didn't care in the moment. I'd only just gotten back and had more interest in my bed than the Grisha tormenting me.

I continued my walk to my tent with somewhat steady steps even though I knew I was stumbling like a drunk woman, but again I didn't care. I basically had to force my eyes open throughout the walk back because although, face planting was tempting, I was in no mode for what might happen if I had.

I was about about to turn down another road when my name was being called from behind, I knew who the voices belonged to, but I was stalling so that I didn't have to deal with them right now.

I tried to ignore it and continued walking. My hair, back in a ponytail, locks falling into my face. I let out a frustrating sigh and continued on trying everything in me not to lash out at the littlest thing, I mean that would be embarrassing.

"Malyen's back!" I stopped, suddenly feeling all the exhaustion suddenly leave my body replacing with a burst of energy and excitement.

I took off down the road at a speed I didn't even know I had. I don't how long I had run for until I had reached the Lieutenants tent on the other side of the base. I spotted the flock of raven hair within the crowd of boys and ran towards them, politely asking to pass until I was mere inches from him. I couldn't help myself from jumping into his arms as soon as contact was made. Mal stumbled back bumping into some of the boys before letting out a warm laugh and melting into the tight embrace.

"I was just about to come and find you." He whispered against my ear.

"It's nice to see you too."  I playfully shoved him as the regiment around us began to depart.

"But I thought you all weren't supposed to return till next week?" I asked lopping my arm through his as we turned to leave.

"Change of plans. General Kirigan took some of our unit out and sent them west because apparently there's war breaking out with the the Fjerdans." My brows furrowed.

"He can do that?" He nodded before he started dragging me away from the tent and back the way I had come from originally.

"Apparently." Mal shrugged, lopping his and my elbow together.

"So, how have you been?" He asked me a few minutes later, from the corner of my eye, I could see him looking over at some Grisha girl with dark brunette hair and bright blue eyes in a vibrant blue of swirled kefta.

"I've been better," He stopped walking and turned to face me. 

"What's that supposed to mean?" He asked, I stopped walking as soon as I'd noticed he was no longer by my side and turned back to him.

"Come on I thought you knew me well enough to get the message," I said bluntly, head tilted to the side.

"I mean when you say it like that I do." I rolled my eyes before turning and continuing to walk without him.

He caught up with me hooking our arms together. "How long are you in for?" I asked.

"Till they assign me out west with the rest of the crew. Well, if they get the Fjerdans of our flock that is."  I could tell he'd been hesitant on telling me this information but was because he didn't really know when he'd be leaving.