Chapter Twenty-Two

"AND THEN DAMEN PUSHED HIM INTO THE POND." NADIA SAID LAUGHING. "It was funny, I will say. But I still feel bad for him." Marie snickered while bringing her wine glass to her lips. I laughed along with Nadia as we all sat on the couch in the far corner of the room by the window-still. It was good for me to be around them; I'd been busy lately with training over the past few weeks that I hadn't been able to see them. Though might I say, my power is starting to bend to my commands and force wise I'm able to make brighter and larger beams of light.

Even after everything I've been through here so far, it's really now just starting to feel like home. And part of me knew it shouldn't but that was because of Mal— we use to tell each other 'Wherever we go, don't get attached to one place for too long, you might just lose it.' And I use to believe that. Now— I'm not so sure. Marie's entwined fingers went to my temple, "How is it that you always seem to carry yourself away when we are together? What is going on in the fantastic brain of yours?"

A mischief grin park took her lips, "You're thinking about the General?" It wasn't really a question.... But she wasn't half wrong either in fact both men I cared for deeply had been on my mind. I felt an unforgiving blush creep up my neck as my face burned. The smirk of course on Marie's face only seemed to grow as I bent my head to attempt to cease my embarrassment.

It did not work of course.

Nadia nudged my leg with her knee as she chuckled, "It amazes me just how much you flush with just the word 'General' Maira." She teased. I glared at her, "You two are beyond annoying." I huffed.

They both chuckled again but louder as Genya stepped into the room. "Ooh thank god." I sighed dramatically beckoning for Genya to get closer, "These two are making my insides burn."

Genya rose a brow, "That's quite normal, yes?" She smirked. I let out a whine of frustration, "Please have mercy on me." I mumbled.

"Ooh we do, little love." Genya sat at my side as she nudged me with her elbow. "We take it into pure heart on teasing you."

Genya pats my cheek, "Anyways...." She eyed Marie and Nadia. "The General wanted me to tell you some rather exciting news. We have received some news from the border. And some of the fjerdans that crossed or attempted to cross the borders have been found and will be held for trial by the kings' orders."

I let out a breath but blinked up at her, "And why would he want to tell me this?" I asked. "He mentioned something about your friend Mal was his name?" I nodded. "Why is he hurt?" I asked my voice strained with concern.

Genya laughed shaking her head, "Quiet the opposite actually. In fact, you will be shocked  to know that he is the one who found them."

I was in fact 'shocked' by this newfound information. My Mal? No wonder he was known as the world's greatest hunter at times. But that was with animals. Maybe I didn't know him as well as I thought.

"Where is he now?" I asked. "Surely the king would reward him."

Nadia shook her head, "Even if he did, it is a rare occasion for the king to reward anyone even his own soldiers. Though I'd say it is as everyone says 'selfish' of him."

Because the king only values his own wealth. He doesn't care for any other.

"Well, he is." I heard Genya mumble under her breath. Marie rose a questioning at Genya who only shook her head. "No worries the king is providing them food and shelter,"

Nadia almost seemed shocked. "That is unusual of him."

"Well, it is on Maira's behalf." Marie shrugged as she glanced at me. "Where will they go?" I asked.

"That I cannot say." Genya said. I opened my mouth to ask why but was cut short by her. "But I can assure you somewhere safe and away from the borders."

Well, I guess that's a good enough answer. I hope.

"Thank you, Genya." I smiled. "I have a few letters that I'd like to be sent to Mal." I added as she nodded.

"I will get to it then." She replied before turning to walk out but stopped to look over her shoulder. "Kirigan wants to see you. You have 1 hour to make yourself presentable." I could practically hear the smirk as I rolled my eyes.

"Alright." I huffed; turning back to look at Marie and Nadia as the door shut behind us.

Words written:
831

Author's note:
Shorter chapter than usually but I did this on purpose as well so you can't be mad 😌