Chapter Two

THE NEXT COUPLE OF WEEKS GO BY AT THE CAMP base with new flocks of Grisha and First army trackers coming and going up West where the Fjerdans had been trying to get across Ravka's borders. Even though me and Mal had tried to get some time together we hadn't succeeded to that. He'd been busy planning with the other trackers on their incoming travel up to the border. But he wasn't the only one busy, I'd had my hands quite full lately as well. The Lieutenant had the Cartographers sketching out maps for the tracker unit up to the borders, following out different routs to take if needed.

It had been hell since then of course, every single moment of it was horrendous. And as much as we loved our jobs in the army; it only seemed to grow the two of us farther apart from one another. But I also could hardly say it was the armies' fault, if anything it was the Fjerdans trying to cross, if they hadn't been we'd be able to see each other more, I'd been called to the Lieutenants tent the following evening for the maps he'd requested of us. I gathered everything up and threw my bag over my shoulder and retreated out of the open flap.

Usually, I put my hair up from the humidity but tonight I just couldn't bring myself to caring so I pulled out the hair tie and let my hair fall down my shoulders in soft waves.

I took my time walking there mostly because I didn't want to rush. So, I kept to a steady pace and examined my surroundings. There had been less Grisha out at this time of night and more First Army soldiers. Wasn't surprised though most nights first army soldiers drank kvass, or walked around drunk off their asses, or walking around with their buddies and quarreling.

On the other hand, the Grisha tended to keep to themselves in the night even though they'd bullied us frequently when there General wasn't around. It was mostly because we were not in their words 'Equal to small science'. Mal called it witchcraft materiel, and sometimes I believed it was to. I turned down the final road before I'd even realized it, my breath hitching in my throat, as I noticed the bright crimson red color of Grisha Kefta's from a distance. I felt my stomach churn with uncertainty. I knew I was bound to face the Darkling again sooner or later, but I didn't think it would be now while I was just simply taking some maps to the Lieutenant at his request.

I slowed my steps, deciding if I should make an excuse and come back tomorrow when he wasn't there. Don't get me wrong the last time was unprecedented but he'd looked at me like no one has ever looked at me before. I didn't know what it meant and quite frankly didn't really want to. But if the saints knew what they were doing it was obviously bound to happen, so I shook my head and continued walking. The

Once I was walking up the small trail, I met the eyes of the two Grisha in front of me, Heartenders, and put on a smile trying to suppress the actual nerves that where on the inside but at the same time my mind was shouting. They are Heartenders they'd obviously be able to hear my heart beat.

"What is it?" The brown-haired Grisha with bright blue eyes and pale white skin asked with a scowl on his lips.

"I'm just here to return maps," I said softly.

The two Grisha hummed, before one turned and walked through the flap. I stood awkwardly while the other Grisha eyed me up and down with obvious disgust. I looked away and down to my boots, kicking the dirt around.

The flap opened again and the heartrender motioned for me to enter, and I did, walking through the flap of the Lieutenants tent and meeting a pair of eyes I hadn't wanted to see.

His eyes in the dim Candlelight were a shade darker than they were when I saw him in the open sky, eyes grey like quartz. And I wanted to escape the tent before I could even give over the maps. His Kefta was tight fitted and if you looked close enough you could almost see his biceps flexing through the material, I shook my head turning my gaze to the Lieutenants.

"Your maps, sir." I said, removing the bag from my shoulder and then the maps. I tried to keep my eyes elsewhere, but I could feel the Generals eyes burning into me from the other side of the tent.

The Lieutenant began unraveling the string and unrolling the paper, I peered over my shoulder to the General who was smirking silent at the ground below his feet, his lower half leaning against the Lieutenants desk, arms crossed over the other. he looked like a saint. I wanted to look away, but I couldn't. Something in me felt a pull towards him, I wanted to get closer, to touch him but I couldn't, I had to stay still.

"Aah," My gaze turned back quickly to the Lieutenants shaking my head slightly to be rid of these thoughts and feelings that overwhelmed me, "Thank you Maira." The Lieutenant nodded, impressed. "You're very talented and detailed with your work." My eyes widen slightly, I'd never been complimented about my drawings, and I never thought I would but just to hear that made my heart skip a beat.

"Thank you, Lieutenant," I responded, I looking over my shoulder again to the General but this time he'd been closer, how'd he get there? He was examining me up close in obvious interest, arms tucked behind his back.

"You may go," The Lieutenant said a few seconds later, I turned back to him and nodded gathering up my things quickly and anxiously. I'd never wanted to leave a place as much as I did in this moment, This is the second time I'd encountered him, but he showed such interest in me for little reason.

I turned to walk away but was stopped seconds later again, "Very talented." The rumble of his dark voice echoed throughout the tent ever so gently that I thought I might faint at any given second. I turned my attention back over my shoulder and noticed one of my maps being inspected closely by General Kirigan. I didn't know wether or not he had expected me to answer him in the moment but I also didn't want to make myself look like an even bigger idiot then I already was so I swallowed down the lump in my throat and replied.

"Thank you General Kirigan," I said gently.

He nodded in recognition, "You are very welcome Ms. Costov."

"Excuse me." I said meekly after many awkward moments, practically running out and away from the tent as fast as humanly possible. What was that? What was wrong with me?
saints i'm an idiot. I stopped a few minutes later once I was closer to my tent and finally let out a long exhaling breath, feeling the pounding of my heart beat against my chest.

I felt a sudden need for water, so once I was back at my tent, I took a long gulp and shook my head trying to clear my mind from tonight's events. Get it together Maira. It was nothing. He had done it on purpose.

It wouldn't happen again, None of it would.

To be continued........

——

1,325 words written