Chapter Four

*Unedited*

WHEN I AWOKE, I WAS A PANTING MESS GRASPING for something. Anything in reach. My surroundings were a blur but I could make out the dark silhouette of a person swaying back and forth, coming closer. I wanted to back away, but my body ached. It felt like little needles were prickling at my skin from head to toe. I blinked once, twice, trying to reduce my fogged vision but it only seemed to get worse the more I tried. The silhouette was standing over me when my eyes opened again, my ears rang as a muffled voice tried to break through the ringing in my ears. A hand met my skin, and I flinched away once the contact was made. I closed my eyes again as the muffled voice began too slowly clear.

Another pair of hands made contact with my skin, but it was different this time. My skin tingled, the ringing began to melt away and my body responded differently to the touch, calming instantly. I opened my eyes, and my vision was cleared. A male Heartender was standing over me in his vibrant red Kefta. His eyes were a bright blue, lips plump and pink, with brunette hair.

"She's awake." The grisha called through a thick foreign accent. Half Shu.

"Thank you, Samuel. You're excused." The dark smooth familiar voice said softly. The Grisha looked back at me through thick lashes with such curiosity before turning and walking out the flap. Everything was dime and emerald, green, candle sticks on thick mantles were all around the room standing tall and gold.

My eyes trained away from observing and landed onto the Darkling's who stood a few feet away from the cot I was lied on, His eyes surveying me intently before he took four long strides and toward over my figure. His gloved hand reached out, landing onto my shoulder. But he did not do anything, just stared at me. My body tensed at the touch, and I wanted to pull away from him, but my body screamed Don't.

"Breathe," His dark voice spoke softly, as he crouched in front of me, I don't know why I listened, but I took a few large deep breaths and opened my eyes.

Though my head was pounding out of my skull, a wanting for answers was all I wanted, "Where am I?"

"In my tent." He simply replied, "I wanted you to be comfortable when you woke up. The guards suggested putting you in confinement. But I suggested otherwise." He concealed a smile but there was something genuine in his eyes something I didn't know what.

Panic shot through me, my stomach churning, "What happened? Did I do something?" His brows furrowed together but he didn't seem all too shocked that I couldn't remember anything.

"You don't remember?" I shook my head trailing my eyes away from his face.

"I—" I stopped, "Why can't I remember anything?"

He didn't seem to have an answer, so he reached out and asked for my hand, "What are you doing?" I asked eyes wide as he took out a small blade from his sleeve, "You want to remember, don't you?"

And then the blade was cutting through my skin, I expected to see blood, but what came out was a bright beam of crystal white light, moving around us in sync, growing brighter with every moment it seeped from my hand. It was scarily the most beautiful thing I'd seen. But it didn't stop there. The darkling cut another spot on my hand, only then did I know it wasn't hurting me, and a black mass seeped out of my skin like smoke. That's when terror struck me, forgetting in the moment that all this 'unusual' power was coming from me.